5

AURELIA

Saying goodbye was hard. I knew I'd see him tomorrow, but with my impatient father right behind me, it was hard to say anything of substance to Kai.

Taking my hand in his, he lifted it up and placed a kiss on the back of it, never once taking his eyes off of mine. A light blush crept up on my neck and cheeks, but I ignored it, smiling at him. I pulled him in for a hug and though he felt stiff underneath me, I received nothing but warmth from him.

"I'll see you soon," I whispered, quietly enough so that we were the only two that could hear it.

He nodded his head once at me, as if to say he understood, before I pulled away from him, sliding into the suv as my father slammed the door behind me. He climbed into the passenger's seat, obviously too angry to drive, while Tom sat at the wheel.

Eleanor and my mother both sent me sympathetic looks, knowing that I could use all the support I could get against my father in this fight. I knew that I was in for the argument of my life when I told him that I was leaving to go with Kai tomorrow, and I would need all of my strength and then some to get him to see that it's for the best if I go.

The drive home was silent and filled with tension. I hated that my father was upset with me, and both my wolf and I wished to cheer him up, but I knew that I couldn't. If I wanted to be with my mate, I'd have to leave my father behind. And I knew that eventually he would forgive me and move past this, but right now he was in angry, over-protective parent mode, and he was going to be pissed when he heard the news I had to tell him.

We finally got home around midnight, and I went straight for my bedroom, where I found none other than my best friend, Mary, lying on my bed waiting for me. As soon as I entered, she sat up, a grin on her face, "Tell me everything! Was the ball amazing? Did you dance with any cute boys? Any Alphas? I'm dying here!"

"Yes, yes, yes, and yes," I answered all of her questions and she squealed.

Ripping my heels off of my feet, I sighed in relief as I was returned to my normal height, and I motioned for Mary to help unzip my dress, "I'll tell you everything once I change and wipe this makeup off my face."

Not ten minutes later, I reemerge in my room to find my best friend asleep on my bed, her phone on her chest. With a soft chuckle to myself, I take her phone and plug it in for her before flipping off the light and sliding into the bed next to her. As much as my mind was thinking, it was easy for me to fall asleep as the exhaustion of the night settled in.

Mary woke up to me neatly folding clothes into a suitcase. It wasn't exactly early, but she wasn't a morning person by any standards, and so she stared hazily at me until she seemed to realize what I was doing, my actions waking her right up.

"Where are you going?" She asks, accusation ever so evident in her tone.

I smiled, "I met my mate. I'm leaving today to go be with him."

"O-M-GOSH that's amazing!" She squealed, jumping up and wrapping me in a hug, "Who is he? What's he like? Is he dreamy? I'll bet he is!"

Laughing at her childish antics, I nodded, "He's very dreamy."

"Well, who is it?" She demanded, crossing her arms as she stood in front of me.

Nonchalantly, I responded as I continued folding the clothes that I was bringing with me, "Alpha Kai Alistair."

If Mary were a cartoon character, her jaw would have fallen to the floor as she stared at me, her mouth wide open. Placing my fingers under her chin, I lifted it up to close her mouth, then turning back to finish packing, "You'll catch flies."