Birthday Sparks

..::Chapter Four::..

..::Faith Ellsworth::..

I almost squeal with delight as the man in the ticket booth fastens the lime green wristband around my right wrist. Beside me, Wade gives a deep chuckle.

“Excited much?”

I nod my head vigorously. The first time I came to the fair was with my father when I was seven. I remember how enthralled I was with the sparkling colored slights and the seemingly endless rides. What I also recall is my father whipping out a monumental amount of pink cotton candy from behind his back, trying to consol me because of the fact that I was too short to ride some of the adult rides. He and I tried everything to make me appear taller: wearing a hat, stuffing my shoes, and going on my tippy toes. But nothing worked.

“So, what’s first on tonight’s agenda?” Wade asks, nudging me with his elbow, a lopsided grin on his beautiful face. If I weren’t so focused on my stomach, I probably would have swooned and sighed dreamily. Wade definitely has that affect on girls.

Automatically, I grab his hands and pull him along with me as I dart towards a particular stand. “Food,” I say, pointing to the menu once we’ve arrived. I scan it carefully, my finger on my chin.

“Can I please get one cotton candy on a stick…”

“Pink or blue?” the girl working interrupts. She has long blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. I’m assuming she’s nineteen or so.

“Pink,” I say absentmindedly. “I’d also like two hot dogs, an order of fries, and a tall coffee with room for cream.” I finish.

“And what can I get for you?”

The girl behind the counter leans forward and bites her plump red lips. Is she trying to seduce him? Seriously? Who tries to seduce a man that’s with another woman? I mean, does she even have a brain behind all that makeup?

Wait, why in the world of Elmo am I getting so worked over about this? It’s not like I’m his girlfriend or anything. Just two friends, if you can even call us that, having a nice night at the fair on my birthday!

I look hesitantly at Wade, who’s paying to mind to the promiscuous woman. “Nothing for me,” he replies and hands her the money. Wow, a gentleman. He turns his gaze to me as I grab my food and sit down.

“How are you not morbidly obese?” he asks incredulous, eyeing my food suspiciously.

I shrug and begin eating some of my fries, waiting for the hotdogs to cool down. “Fast metabolism, I guess. Anyways, tell me about yourself Wade.”

He smirks. “Why do you want to know more about me, Faith?”

That’s the first time he’s said my name and I have to admit, it sounded sexy beyond belief. The ways he says it makes heartbeat erratic and my insides to feel warm.