29

third p.o.v

"i'm home-"

"lee donghyuck, what is this?"

donghyuck's mom held up a piece of paper, a familiar one. it was his science mark, the page his science teacher showed to him earlier that day.

"a mistake." he replied straight faced, but his emotions were traced with anger. "how'd you even get that, anyways?"

his mom slammed the page down on the dining table. "mr. jo sent me an e-mail a few minutes ago, and i printed the page." she strutted over to donghyuck, who played with his hoodie strings.

"what happened to my smartypants?" she looked at donghyuck, disappointed.

he wanted to explain, but he had no idea what to say. nothing would come out. and he was worried that if something were to come out, his mom wouldn't have it.

"i swear, i've been doing the best i can in my classes!"

"i don't care about what you have to say, young man." she grabs the back of donghyuck's book bag and pushes him past her, towards the stairs.

"i want you to study for the rest of the day, and throughout the week everyday you come home from school. including the weekend, i'm afraid i can't allow you to go out."

donghyuck wanted to yell at his mom. he found that it was complete bullshit for her to limit him like that.

"fine, i'll do what mr. jo wants me to do- study for that science test to raise my grade that shouldn't even be that freaking low!" donghyuck raised his voice as he stormed upstairs, shoving the door to his room open, and slamming it when he was inside.

donghyuck's mom sighed in relief and sat down on the couch, turning on the tv in hopes to drown out any potential noises donghyuck might make.

. . .

donghyuck scribbled a few more notes in his notebook before letting out a long groan, letting his body fall backwards to come in contact with his bed mattress.

"i freaking hate this!" he crossed his arms and stretched his legs out, furrowing his eyebrows at the difficulty he was having when it came to studying for the science test.

"it's too hard."

donghyuck began to get upset when he remembered that mark invited him and his friends to the beach. and it only made him feel more gloomy because he didn't want to leave mark without his boyfriend to hang out with.

he didn't want to be a let down.

donghyuck picked up his phone and called mark. he ruffled his hair as he waited for his boyfriend to pick up.

"hey, babe!" almost immediately, mark answered.

"hey..."

there was a long pause on mark's end of the line, until he spoke again. "you don't sound that good- are you sure you're okay?"

donghyuck let out a quiet whine and confessed. "no, i'm not fucking okay!" he moved from the floor onto his bed.

"i have a 56 in science and my mom knows! mr. jo e-mailed her about my mark and she's pissed at me..."

donghyuck didn't want to sound like a baby on the other end of the phone, but he truly wanted to cry.

in fact, a tear had already slipped out.

"hyuckie..."

"and now she won't let me go out this weekend because of my mark, she wants me to study for that test."

donghyuck sniffled and mentally slapped himself. here he was, on the phone with mark crying like a baby.

"baby, it's okay-"

"no, it's not!" donghyuck almost lashed out on mark, but he knew he had to try to remain calm, even if he was struggling.

"i wanted to get to know you better this weekend, but my stupid mother has other plans and i'm devastated!"

he roughly wiped his tears away with the sleeves of his sweater, the one he bought for his and mark's first "date".

"hyuckie, please don't cry. i don't like hearing you cry." he whispered into the phone, soothing donghyuck little by little.

mark hushed donghyuck every now and then, until he managed to get the younger boy to finally stop crying.

"i have an idea, but i need you to make sure your mom's not near you when i tell you."

donghyuck silently got off of his bed and crept to the door. he opened it slowly, thanking that it was installed correctly with no creaks. he could see his mom on the couch, still watching tv.

"all clear."

mark took a deep breath. donghyuck anticipated his reply.

"i can help sneak you out."

《 🖊 》

small update because
i've had timeeee
+ i'm not going to any
disney parks tomorrow so
i'll be resting up, and probably
writing more chapters!