Halloween (Part Three)

Start from the beginning

My eyes narrowed when I saw Suzy sobbing quietly, although I could still hear her from afar. Her eyes wet and, I assumed, red from crying. Her makeup ruined and it was much worse than last time. I heard L turning to Suzy's direction and saw her. Before he was given a chance to react, she turned away and ran to the school.

I followed her leaving L behind probably bewildered. I knew that something like that was going to happen.

I ran as fast as possible. I reached every restroom for girls and I looked in every corridor but nope. No sign of her. I went to the school hall, everyone was still having fun and dancing. I hoped Suzy was among the crowd. I spotted Sungjong who continued talking to the alien. I made my way to him and tapped on his shoulder.

''Have you seen Suzy, Sungjong?'' I asked.

''She went to look for you.'' Catfish was holding a bar of chocolate.

''I haven't come across her.'' I lied whilst continuing scanning through the population for the only Sadako in the school building.

''I'll phone her telling that you're here with me.''

Of course, why didn't I think of taking out the cell phone? He fished his smartphone out of his pants' pocket. Oh, shoot! He mustn't find out about the occurrence. I was about to prevent the Sungjong's act but he already dialed her number. As I expected, she did not to answer...

I prayed she's holding tight. I intended to seek her again.

''I'll go look for her,'' Sungjong informed. He didn't even suspect anything to be wrong. Before I stop him, he said, ''You wait here.'' He shed a few words before he stormed out of the hall. I sensed a grip on my shoulder. I turned to the questioning person. L remained quiet since the dialog back there. My back faced him. I couldn't look into his beautiful eyes.

''We shouldn't have done this,'' I muttered.

''Why shouldn't we? Don't you feel anything about me?'' He whispered in my ear and put a strand of hair which was covering my right eye behind the ear. ''Don't you want us to be together? Aren't you happy with me?'' L came to the front so I could see him. I avoided his gaze.

''It's not that... it's just... you hurt my best friend Suzy. And I don't think she'll forgive me because of the happening in the park... I can't let our friendship be in pieces. It is so precious to me.'' I explained.

''What about me then?'' L questioned.

He was being selfish... and I didn't like it. He should understand my friend is more important than him. I'm sorry, L...

''I-'' I started.

''L! Your bestie's here!'' Somebody hollered.

''Oh really?'' L turned to the tallest one of the group. He seemed super happy and waved from afar. The rest of Infinite were behind him, curiously looking at us.

''Yup. Come here. You don't want her to wait for you all night, do you?'' The giant added. The leader nudged him on his arm, maybe implying to lower his voice down. The latter looked at him with annoyance, confusion, and curiosity at the same time. The girls averted their gazes at the face of the group and began squeaking. Didn't they recognize him until then?

''I'm coming.'' L looked back at me apologetically. ''Wait for me, okay? We'll talk later.'' And he disappeared from my sight.

Should I really wait for him? Listen to him? Was it worth doing? What was going to change the situation, anyway?

''Ugh!'' I was frustrated and ruffled my hair making it look like instant noodles.

Suzy wouldn't talk to me and I didn't know what would freaking happen to me and L. Why should my life be this miserable? Life, why do you hate me so much?

''Boo!'' Someone shouted and I flinched. I saw no one behind me where the source was. It was weird but I thought it could be a junior. Wanting to scare people since it's Halloween.

''Boo!'' Another squeal was heard. That noise reminded me of someone. The air suddenly became cold and I rubbed my hands fast so I could get warm.

''Guess who.'' A flash of thought came into my mind. ''Come outside.'' A girly voice said next. I followed her order anticipating the following happenings. I vanished from the school ball hall.

Right now, I needed my sister's advice, comfort and, most importantly, her soul beside me. I saw her on the same bench that I sat on a while ago. Her spirit was there and she extended her arms. For the love of spaghetti, why did Yuki choose that bench?! Memories and flashbacks filled my brain. My heart immediately reacted to the sight in front of me by starting to beat insanely; its velocity speed up and I began feeling aches in my chest.

''Come here,'' Yuki said quietly but enough loud to hear. Gladly, no one was in the park or people would've thought I had gone crazy. I approached her and situated myself in her arms.

My sister's body remained the same like she was still alive and that made me more depressed because I had to face the reality that she wasn't. I felt wet tears on my cheeks trailing down constantly. I just let them do even without sobbing. Yuki, on the other hand, calmed me down in every way she could find. She wiped away the drops and took out from her jeans' pocket a tiny bag which was tied with a microscopic rope.

''I'm going to pour this over you.'' If I hadn't been zoning out, I would have puzzled over my sister's statement. Do whatever it takes, my sister. Just heal me from my heartaches.

Then I felt something on my head. I touched it and saw yellow dust which was shining like the stars above me from the dark sky. ''It'll stop you from hurting, crying, saddening but this spell will fade away after a period of time. For the time being, every affected point will have disappeared.'' She stopped and fondled my hair. ''I can't stand seeing you suffering. I went out to work for some time and you are already weeping. You are OK right now?''

I touched my entire face - my eyes weren't swollen, no more traces of dry tears. But how did that happen? I felt nothing during my ''cure'', yet I don't look like a crying mess.

I also realized that Yuki wasn't there anymore. Honestly, I miss her already but this feeling wasn't shown outside.

''Time to find Suzy again.'' I stood up and entered the hall for the umpteenth time. What greeted me were L's words:

''Didn't I tell you to stay here?'' His hands were on his waist. I wasn't in a mood for his remarks. ''Never mind. Let me introduce you to my friend. This is...''

I didn't hear the rest of the sentence and I didn't need to since I knew this person in front of me. She was wearing almost exactly like me but instead of a black dress, it was contrary to it - white like pristine snow. Her bolts, stitches, green paint, black lip gloss, and nail polish were in their places. She was a beautiful, popular girl and both of L and her suited much better than me and L. We stood like that for a while until she greeted me cheerfully. That girl was...