Chapter 59: Freely

"How was your life without me?" Caden asks me and I roll my eyes.

We were walking down the streets from the cafe and were seeking for some nice fresh air. The trees were greener than usual and the sky was blooming with a bright blue colour. Everyone seemed happy around these streets, which is why it's my favorite street to walk down.

Me and Zeke used to walk down these streets all the time. He would always take pictures of me.

"It was different. I hated it, if that wasn't obvious." I give him a look and he nods, "But hey, I ended up passing math with a nice clean 70."

His eyes widen and he grins, "Holy shit! That's actually great! You were coming up from a -"

"Yeah, let's not talk about that." I shake my head and he chuckles. After a few moments of silent steps down the street, Caden speaks up.

"Now, you never told me how you knew Jackson." He says seriously and I huff.

"Can we not talk about that either?"

"It's just curiosity." He shrugs, "I mean he said he loved you?"

"Okay fine. I'll just clear it up. He used to come to the cafe a lot and I never realized he was interested in me until Tia and Jess mentioned it. I went over to talk to him..." I glance at him and he stares intensely to the ground as we walk, "I mean, I thought I could make a friend. I was oblivious to the fact that he might actually like me. So we talked, it was cool, until one day he told me that he 'loved' me apparently? I declined him politely but he didn't accept 'no' for an answer. He kept repeating that we were 'fate' and I decided to get away from him because he was making me feel really uncomfortable. He practically chased me out to my car, repeating that we were meant to be."

"Wow, that must've been terrifying." He says and I scoff.

"Terrifying? I was shitting my pants." I state.

We reach a small park and I recognize it immediately. I remember sitting at that specific bench with that colorful tree in the background. My heart pounds faster as I run over to it. I sit on the bench and Caden stands a few meters away from me.

"This would make a beautiful picture." He says and I swallow.

"Yeah, I actually had a picture taken here before." I sigh and look down, remembering a conversation from the past.

...

9 months ago... (from Chapter 1)

"There. You look perfect." Zeke says as he joins me on the bench to show me the picture he had taken. It was beautiful as it was able to catch the bright colors of the tree behind me, plus with my nice fashion sense, it looked magnificent.

"Thank you, it looks great. You could totally be a photographer, I honestly don't see what's the risk." I tell him and he smirks at me.

"My parents." He gives me a knowing look and I shrug.

"Well, that sucks. I guess I could have you all to myself then." I smile and he lets out a small chuckle.

It was about 6:00 p.m on a Tuesday evening and here we were spending time together sitting in front of a park on a park bench.

...

Caden had his phone out and he took a quick picture of me.

He walks over to sit next to me. His hand automatically reaches for mine and I can't help but smile at his unconscious actions. He shows me his phone and my smile turns into a grin.

"I know the wound is still strong, but here's to a new chapter of our lives." He says and I choke up. A new chapter without my best friend.

"Yeah. I can do this. We can do this." I say, mostly for myself.