Chapter 13: Alien's Day Out

I was so glad our movie trip was over. First, Dean was taking me to the mall, and now the movies? And worse of all, he was digging into my personal business again. This game has been getting harder and harder for me lately. It's like I'm in one of those hard boss levels that's taking me forever to defeat. If he keeps pushing harder, then it's game over for me. I won't let that happen; I will not give up.

After two weeks of acting goody-goody and silently suffering the agonizing torment, I noticed that things started to get strangely–but peacefully–quiet. Sunday morning I went down for breakfast and noticed something was missing. It was not the waffles, which were already on the table, it was not the milk, and it was not the rich smell of Mom's coffee. It was Dean who was missing.

Hallelujah!

I casually sat at the table and breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, I was able to hear myself chew without being vandalized by suspicious stares and fake smiles.

"Hey, Mom. Where's Dean today?" I asked.

"He had to go back to work. Said it was urgent," she said.

"When will he be back?" I asked, but not really caring.

"I don't know. He might not be back for a while."

"Yessss!" I exclaimed accidentally.

Mom looked at me suspiciously and put her hands on her hips, wondering what I was cheering for. I blushed and said, "I mean, yes, he's doing a great job with his work...and I'm proud that he's working hard for this country."

Nice recovery, Kaley.

Mom lifted an eyebrow at me, then shrugs her shoulders, smiled, and patted my hair saying, "That's sweet of you, honey."

By Monday, during lunch at school, I told Dainu, Pam, and Amy about the exciting news about Dean.

"Really?!" Amy exclaimed. "He's gone for good?"

"Yes! He's gone like the wind," I said. "He's out. Bye-bye, adios, sayonara, aloha!

"That's great," said Pam, clapping excitedly.

"That is excellent news, Kaley," Dainu said. "He will not disturb you any longer."

"He won't even disturb me while I'm eating," I added.

"You know what that means?" Pam said. "Dainu can hang out with us in the outside world."

I gazed at Pam, and then at Dainu, who was pleading me with his puppy eyes again.

"Well, about that," I started, "I would love for Dainu to hang with us, but where should we take him first, without people staring or panicking when they see Dainu."

"How about the park?" Amy suggested.

"No way," Pam protested. "Not the park. We're trying to show Dainu the sights of the city, not some boring old park."

"Parks are not boring," Amy argued.

"Be at peace, my friends," Dainu interrupted. "I do not mind where you take me, I'll be happy to tour your world in every direction you take me."

"See?" Amy told Pam. "Dainu doesn't care where we take him, as long as he's with us and having fun."

I interrupted, "Who's gonna go first?"