Chapter 45 - Visionary

"It was ours." Deucalion spoke.

"What?"

"The dream of peace. It was Viv's dream, but it became mine. I believed in it not just because she did. It was our dream, only made stronger after Selene was born. A product of both hunter and hunted. After what happened I tried again with the Argents to stop something like what happened to her and our daughter happening to someone else."

"And her husband? What did he think of your dream?"

"It was a... delicate matter." Deucalion said carefully. "A hunter and an alpha werewolf. She found out she was pregnant and... her marriage had to stay in place. For the sake of the child. If other hunters ever found out then it would have put her in danger as well. We decided to wait. Wait a few years and then she would leave him."

"That doesn't sound all to fair for him."

"Vivienne was a kind person, but when it came to her children nothing would get in her way. She did what she had to, to protect Selene."

"Only the Calaveras found out."

"And I'm a fool for thinking it was the other pack all this time. I should have known."

"No. If you had known you would have died."

"And hows that?" He asked, with an eyebrow raised.

"You said you went after the pack you blamed for their deaths before trying for peace again. You killed them. If you had known the Calaveras were to blame you would have gone after them instead. You would have gone after your daughter. The Calaveras are a little harder to take out. I think they may be worse than Gerard if pushed to it. And they certainly have more fire power, more numbers. Hell they run their own little town. Araya Calavera killed one of her own men while she sat at a table on the side of the street talking to Lydia. Not a single person battered an eyelid. Selene was raised among that. By her. You may not be able to see the silver lining, I doubt Selene does and she definitely wouldn't if she knew the truth. But from an outside perspective, someone whose not involved and aside from feeling bad for what happened has an indifferent stance... It worked out for the best. The best for the circumstances you were given. If you found her, took her with you... the hunters would have known she was missing. And considering they knew she was potentially a werewolf... they would have hunted you both and they would have succeeded. If you had known and gone after her in Mexico, you would have gone in blind... metaphorically. They would have killed you and Selene never would have known. You could have trained her growing up, Deucalion, but you never could have trained her the way they did. A wolf can't train a human because a wolf can't fight the way a human does. You would have trained her to be a human among a pack of wolves, striving to be more, but never able to reach it. Araya trained her to be human equal in strength to those stronger than her. It's what the hunters are and you never could have given her that. And maybe now that you know where she is you can seek her out. With a clear mind that has had years of separation from what happened in France."

"Only one problem." He said. I was surprised he did go straight to trying to defend himself in saying that he would have succeeded and that I was wrong, he could have trained her better. But he didn't. I took that as a sign that he thought I was right or... maybe, and this was reaching when concerning Deucalion... he respected what I had to say.

"And what's that?"

"She's still with the Calaveras."

"Yeah... except she's not a little girl anymore. She's a hunter, Deucalion. And right now, she's not in Mexico. She's hunting down Kate Argent. And she's a lot more like her mother than you know. I can tell you all I know about her if you want. Most of it, I suspect, you won't like. You might feel angry at the Calaveras more than you already do. You won't be any more fond of Peter Hale. But at the end... if you promise to let everything that has already passed be... and simply try and start again... no revenge, no getting even, none of it... I can tell you how to find her."