Part 7

We took Cecelia home that day. We got out of the car and the Doctor helped me out and then I took her and held her close to me. He closed the door behind me and put his hand on my back leading me up the walk and looking over his shoulder every step. We laid on our bed with her between us and we just looked at her and studied her little brown eyes, and her tiny little hands and feet and the subtle hint of blonde hair on the top of her head. I had only known her these two days and already, I couldn’t imagine what I’d do without her. She fell asleep and the Doctor and I were left there just looking at her and occasionally each other. It was so peaceful. So relaxing. I could feel myself falling asleep. With the Doctor looking over her, I knew she’d be safe so I slowly drifted off to sleep.

I was coming out of the dark tunnel. Running past the man in black. Not even caring that he stood there watching me. I looked around for her but I didn’t see her. I didn’t see anyone. The streets were empty and dark. I didn’t know where I was but I just kept running. I came across an empty lot and I felt the air chill and I could see my breath in front of me as I exhaled deeply. I didn’t know where to go. I just stood there and listened. I turned around and saw the man in black had been following me.

“What do you want?!” I screamed

He just stood there. He didn’t do anything, didn’t say anything. Then he looked up at a tall building. I looked up too. Then I saw her. She was crawling on the edge of the balcony about 10 stories up. I ran as fast as I could, but it wasn’t fast enough. Her hand slipped and I saw her falling and I heard her crying. Her crying got louder and louder. “No!” I screamed, “Nooooooooo!”

“Rose!” I woke up in the Doctor’s arms. “Rose what’s wrong what did you see. Was it that man again?” I nodded and he held me close. I was so scared and I was crying. I looked to my side and saw the empty space.

“Where is she?” I said nervously, “Doctor, where did she go?”

He got up and walked over to the cradle that he brought in from the nursery. “She’s right here. Safe and sound.” I got up and walked over to her. She had started crying and I figured that’s what I heard in the dream. I had to hold her. I had to know she was there. I held her tightly and the doctor put his arms around us both.

I fed her and then put her back into the cradle. The Doctor was sitting on the floor and I sat down in front of him and leaned back as he drew me in close. He kissed my head. “It was aweful,” I said, not taking my eye off of the cradle. “The man was there and I saw her- I saw her falling. She fell so far but I didn’t see what happened after that. Doctor, do you think these dreams show the future?”

“Let’s hope not.”

“It’s just that, in the dream, Cecelia wasn’t a baby anymore. She was older. She could crawl and she looked bigger. What if it is showing me what’s going to come?”

“Then we’ll just have to protect her.”

One year later…

We were setting up for Cecelia’s first birthday party. It was just a small party with some family. I woke up early to prepare for the day. I left the Doctor sound asleep in bed with Cecelia’s crib right next to him. I went downstairs and made some tea. I cleaned up the house a bit and then started cooking and decorating the cake. I hung the streamers and got everything all set up. I looked at the time. Only 2 hours before the party started, I thought it odd that the Doctor would sleep this late so I went upstairs to check on them. I went into the bedroom and saw an empty bed. I looked into the bathroom but I still saw no one. I checked on Cecelia. She wasn’t there either. Empty crib. Then I found a note left on the dresser, it read: Rose, I took Cecelia to the market to pick up a few things today like you asked. Love, The Doctor.

Normally I’d find nothing wrong with this. Something about this letter felt wrong. I didn’t see them leave. Whoever wrote this letter made one very big mistake. The doctor never signs his letters, The Doctor. He always signs them, Your Doctor. And now I have to go find him.