The Cost of Family

As Rowan Whitethorn knew, Queen Aelin was always pissy. But let's just say that elevated when she got pregnant. Even more so now, 35 weeks and huge as a whale. Not only was she big, and sore and cramping but she was tired of everyone treating her as though she was weak. Even pregnant she was still ardalan's assassin. Even at just 6 weeks before her due date she could gut a man.

The healer had confined her to bed rest the week previous, and needless to say that didn't sit well with her either. But sometimes Rowan would be free of his kingly duties (which had now been doubled) and sit with her in their room. They'd talk about names, and what their life would be like when they finally had their sweet little baby.

She never minded being so large she couldn't see her toes, or how Rowan treated her like she was incapable of anything, not even how She hadn't gotten up to do anything but use the bathroom in a week. Not at times like those, when it was just her and her mate and the small child they wanted so terribly.

It was one of those times, and Aelin had just gotten up for a quick bathroom run. Rowan sat on edge near the end of their bed watching her waddle away. He never liked to admit anything scared him But after Lyria. . . He needed to be honest with himself. He was terrified. He couldn't lose his mate again, not when he loved her more than anything.

No matter what anyone said, no matter what she said, a baby was not worth Aelin's life. Nothing was. But even when he was on edge and stressing he could often calm himself. He was just glad that by the looks of it she never worried. He knew that once they both started worrying neither would stop.

"Hey, Rowan?" She called. "Yes, fireheart?" He was dazed, half falling asleep now. "I think my water just broke." He was up and moving in seconds, heading over towards the bathroom. "What?" "Haha." She laughed, opening the door and stepping out. "I'm just messing with you. I'm too early for that." He glared at her, "when you're done carrying my baby I'm murdering you for that. Just so you know." She just laughed again and continued to the bed.

Rowan remained at the bathroom door, watching her. Before she was even half way across the room there was a slight splash, a small mixture of water and blood forming around her feet. "Holy shit." She muttered. "Rowan. I'm not joking this time." She reached back for him, trying to get him to come. But he was already there, resting one hand on her back to guide her back towards the bed. When she was lying on the bed, as comfortable as could be in her growing state of panic, Rowan ran off to find a healer.

Aelin had whimpered at the prospect of being left alone, but he still ran. She realised though, as he had to have been at least half-way down the hallway, she was yet to feel a contraction. She wanted to call him back, no need to worry a healer yet. But she was worried too, her water shouldn't have broken this early. Well at least she assumed so, she wasn't much of a healer.

After what felt like forever Rowan burst back into the room with Aelin's favourite Healer at his heels. It had truly been a while, in the time since he had left she had begun to get contractions. They were painful and somewhat close together, but the part of her used to pushing through the pain tried to convince her the healer wasn't necessary.

"Your majesty, I'm going to need to check how dilated you are." Aelin gave a nod at the slight question, and as she did the healer approached. "Okay, I'm going to need you to lie flat. And legs up please." As she began to nod and obey a particularly strong contraction hit, causing her to suck in a breath and grit her teeth. "Contraction M'lady?"

Aelin just looked mildly interested, while in reality she was just trying to figure out the small woman's name. She was short, young and very skinny around the waist. Her name didn't particularly match those features, or her short amber hair and hazel eyes. She knew that much. "Yes. . . Natalia." It was a guess but after the smile she was given she assumed it was an accurate one.