Chapter two

I am rudely awakened from my sleep to the sound of a bomb going off in another room.

"Groot I needed that!!!" a familiar voice screams. I sit up from the co-pilot seat I was laid on and take in my surroundings. The ship wasn't terrible, it definitely suited the two creatures that rescued me from my personal prison. It had four seats, including the pilot and co-pilot chairs. It all connected to a small kitchen and kitchen table with a horseshoe booth meant to seat at least six other people. All and all I was impressed. I get up from the chair and tip toe towards the hallway where the explosion had resonated. I peak into a room filled with different devices including guns, bombs, and about anything else explosive wise you could ever dream of.

I look over to the two creatures who were still yelling at one another. The small one sitting on a stool that connected to a work bench filled with tools and spare parts. The taller tree like creature was sitting on a bed placed in the far right corner of the room, parts scattered across the mattress. The Tree man seemed to be sulking as the smaller creature continued to yell at him. As I try to get closer to hear them better, the door squeaks, alerting the two aliens of my presence.

"Kid didn't your parents ever tell ya eavesdroppin is rude." The small creature states, folding his arms across his chest. I walk into the room and lean against the adjacent wall, folding my arms in the process.

"Sorry to burst your bubbles dude, but I don't have parents. I was created in the very lab you snatched me from."

The creature stares at me with a look of confusion before jumping from his stool to stand in front of me. "How long have you been there kid?"

"Well I was created 7 years ago, but I was created to be a 12 year old. I don't age or grow at all, much to my disappointment." I huff. It kinda sucks, but what I hated more was that I am the same height, maybe an inch or two shorter than the creature in front of me. He looks towards his friend before looking back to me, a determined look on his face.

"Well kid, I ain't sending ya to no orphanage so I guess your stuck with us. My names Rocket and this hunk of wood is Groot." He states, pointing to his tree companion. Groot gives me a warm smile, and pats the seat next to him. I sit beside him and look towards Rocket.

"I don't want to inconvenience you both though. I may look like a child, but I was genetically enhanced to be a soldier fit for combat." Rocket looked disturbed at my statement, but shook it off and grabbed my shoulders looking at me directly in the eye.

"You may be genetically enhanced, but you're still a kid who hasn't had someone to help guide them. You can stay with us, and Groot and I will take care of ya." I tear up at his words. No one has ever been there for me, not one in my life. When I first came out of the machine I was created in, I asked Shitface who my parents were, but he just told me I didn't have any. I hug Rocket as tight as I could and whispered "Thank you"

Rocket flinches for a moment before returning the hug, patting my back gently. "You're welcome sweetheart."

"By the way kid, what's your name?" He asks as we pull away from the hug.

"Well my experiment tag is B-127, but I don't know if that counts as a name."

Rocket thinks for a moment before his eyes pop, an idea coming to his head. "What about Nova?" he asks, stroking his chin in thought.

I excitedly nod my head at him, jumping up and down in happiness. "Yess I have a name!!" I giggle. Rocket and Groot chuckle at me, amusement in their eyes.

"Okay kid, from now on your name will be Nova." He exclaims, ruffling the top of my head. All of a sudden, I feel extremely tired, and try to wipe the tiredness from my eyes. Rocket and Groot only chuckle at this, and Groot picks me up and lays me on the bed.

"Goodnight kid." Rocket mumbles right before sleep overtakes me.