Twenty - Last First Kiss

It was Sunday afternoon and Dana was sitting in her desk chair with her feet on her windowsill, plucking her acoustic guitar. She started playing a song, and neglected to notice Eddie standing in her doorway with Katie standing beside him.

Eddie forced a cough in order to announce his presence. Dana leaned the back of her head onto the back on the chair and groaned, "What do you want?"

"I didn't know you played guitar," Katie's voice caused Dana's eyes to shoot open. Dana sat up straight and looked at Katie.

"I don't really. I mean I'm no Orianthi," Dana shrugged. Dana looked back to her doorway where Eddie proceeded to send her a look before leaving.

"What song was that?" Katie asked, sitting on the edge of Dana's bed.

"Uh, nothing. You probably wouldn't know it. It's kind of embarrassing, to be honest." Dana said, rubbing the back of her neck. Katie laughed at Dana and then asked her if she would play it again. Dana nodded then began playing the same song, but stopped only after a few seconds.

"Are you going to sing it?" Katie asked Dana with a smile.

Dana shook her head, slightly laughing, "No. I do not sing. I'll play guitar, but I won't sing the lyrics. Not around you at least." There was an awkward silence between Dana and Katie before Dana spoke up again, "What I mean is...I'm not trying to embarrass myself in front of you." Dana scrambled in search for a piece of paper. She found the paper, which contained the song lyrics and guitar chords, and handed it to Katie. Katie laughed, seeing the song and artist, and Dana pouted slightly. "I told you it was embarrassing, but the guitar in this song sounds really good and-"

"I'm not laughing because of the artist." Katie interrupted her. "I'm laughing because I do know part of this song. It just sounded different with only the guitar."

"Great," Dana smiled, "that means I don't have to sing it."

"Why this song?" Katie asked randomly. "Does it mean anything special to you?" Katie held her breath awaiting Dana's response. Dana paused, her eyes drifting between Katie's eyes and lips.

She nodded finally, "I think it does."

"Do you realize how cliché you two are right now?" Eddie asked, leaning against Dana's doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Yeah well," Dana gathered herself, flustered from her own thoughts. She quickly thought of a way to shut him up, sounding harsh in her response. "I'd rather be cliché and cute than desperately seeking Grace's attention like somebody I know."

"Hey!" Eddie uncrossed his arms and defensively pointed at Dana with his eyebrows furrowed. "It is not desperate, it's adorable!" He corrected her. "I came up here to tell you that dinner would be ready in a half an hour, and just for your rude comment, I'll call Grace and ask her to join us."

"She was already coming. She told me this morning, goof ball." Dana laughed slightly at Eddie.

Eddie grunted out of frustration. "Whatever, I have to set the table. Katie, are you staying?"

Katie shook her head, unsure, but Dana looked at her and joked, "Please stay. I need a witness to help me survive through his painful longing." Katie laughed at Dana and agreed to stay for dinner.

Katie and Grace were surprisingly civil with each other throughout dinner. They didn't act the exact same way that they had used to with each other, but considering Katie went through a phase of hating Grace and not talking to her at all, it was quite the accomplishment for the two girls. They were still close friends; just not the best friends they once were, but Grace hoped that would change.