“Did you tell him about the baby?” Preeti asked.

Mimi paused at the entrance, finally sauntering back in with a tired expression. She was my height, but had wider hips and a fuller chest with short, blonde hair.

“No Preeti. He won’t let me work there anymore.” She sighed. She was only working here for a while in hiding from her parents because she had some issues with them and now they were still looking for her. I had no idea if she told Stephano this because she was the daughter of a very important man in the State, a senator.

She wasn’t really working here as a maid, just helping out sometimes whenever Stephanie was running an errand. But she did like to call herself a help though.

I did an eye roll at Preeti’s interrogation while humming in approval after tasting the chicken soup that was bubbling.

“There’s no way he won’t know at the end of the day; especially when you’re now finally here to stay in Italy.”

“That’s true.” I butted in, knowing they were talking about Armando’s dad.  We still didn’t know who he was, they had an issue and she left him with four months pregnancy. At that time, she had only just discovered she was pregnant. “The earlier you speak with him, the better.”

“It’s harder than you think.” Mimi bemoaned. She sounded tired, as if she’d had this discussion a thousand times before.

Mama always told me that if you love someone and they loved you as well, things would also find a way to turn out positively; despite all odds that may surround and want to choke that relationship.

Mimi obviously loved the father of her three month old boy. Getting together with someone you still love after a misunderstanding shouldn’t even be this hard.

“But you are a mother. How long would you hide this from him?” This wasn’t even complicated. Simply call and tell him you now have a baby.

Mimi opened her mouth to answer but then looked at me and pressed her lips in a grim line. “You can’t understand Kara.”

She turned to leave again.

“So...have you prepared his formula?” Preeti asked.

“Yes, it’s in the usual place.”

Mimi gazed down lovingly at her son again and I could see the love she had for him right at that moment shine through her eyes. “I’ll be back soon Mandó. Mama has to take care of some things but be good with mama Preeti and aunty Kara, okay?”

The baby babbled and shook his head when his mother pecked him all over the face and they both giggled before she left.

He jumped in his walker and tried to move it closer to his retreating mother’s back but it proved futile, struggling to turn the wheels and earning him a coo of awe from me.

Preeti smiled and pulled the baby walker closer to her.

“No, you can’t touch that.” Preeti scolded lovingly after a few minutes.

“He is such a bundle of joy.” I pinched his cheeks as I picked two China bowls and rinsed them.

Armando babbled some more words and giggled. He wiggled the handkerchief in his hand and pattered while I just watched him in awe.

“What are you making for Natalia?”

“Or what have I prepared you meant? Because there’s no way I’m cooking again if she doesn’t like this one and also, I didn’t call to ask her what she wanted.”

She did an eye roll. “Whatever. So, what exactly is that?”

“Chicken and potatoes cream soup.”