Chapter 26- the great gathering

Start from the beginning

    When Isildilia woke it took her a while to realise that she was in her bed. She stared across to the sleeping figure, slumped in a chair opposite her. Valin always slept like time had just frozen him; she never knew how he could sleep in such positions. Isildilia went to talk to White Lily, but sense that even she was still sleeping, which wasn’t surprising considering what she just did.  Isildilia pulled the sheets off and saw that she was in her sleeping gown. She glared across to Valin. He didn’t. She flushed bright red with embarrassment.  She’ll need to have a word to him about this, again.

     Suddenly Valin started to writhe in his sleep. He thrashed his head side to side, as if he was plagued by an ill dream. Then he stared to murmur indistinctly.  Isildilia ran over and crouched near him. She’d never seen him move in his sleep before and almost found it fascinating.

   “Valin,” she called out. He didn’t respond. She prodded him lightly, but even that didn’t work. Sweat started to break out on his forehead. 

    “No,” he murmured, “not that. Anything but that!” he yelled.

   “Valin, wake up!” She grabbed his shoulders and shook him. His reaction was explosive. Next thing she knew, something collided with her head, making it ring violently.  Valin had her pinned to the wall, grabbing her by the wrists. He was panting heavily, staring directly into her eyes. Isildilia was terrified. The eyes staring at her weren’t Valin’s. They reminded her of the demon bear.  His nails started to dig into her wrist as his grip tightened.

   “Valin, stop it, you’re hurting me,” she whispered. He suddenly seemed to come to senses. He let her go and stared at his hands.  He fell to his knees. Isildilia had never seen him like this. His hands shook violently as his mind seemed to blank. Isildilia didn’t know how to react. She was too scared to approach him.

   “Are you alright?” she asked from a distance, unwilling to take a step further. Valin didn’t answer. “You had a nightmare, everything is alright now,” she reassured him. Still without saying a word, Valin pushed himself off the floor and shakily sat himself on the edge of her bed. He leant over so far that his hair fell forward and obscured his face. After another minute he finally spoke.

   “I’m sorry,” he said, very slowly. “Are you hurt?” Isildilia shook her head, although she knew that was silly for he wasn’t looking at her. “I’m sorry,” he repeated.

   “Valin, is everything all right?” she dared to ask. He hesitated then nodded. “You’re lying,” she instantly accused.  He sighed heavily.

   “It’s nothing, truly, nothing you should worry about. Isildilia, deciding it was safe, went to stand next to him and placed a tentative hand on his shoulder.

   “Valin, there is something darkening your mind, we all know it. I'm losing Dakelo; please don’t make me lose you too. What’s wrong?’ Valin opened his mouth to speak when suddenly a large horn blasted throughout the entire mountain.  It was a couple of short blasts, followed by a long note, which held a couple of seconds.

   “What was that?” Isildilia asked. Valin stood up.

   “That was the horn for the great gathering. Be ready in no less than an hour,” he commanded. He clapped his hands and suddenly the door flew open. Two women scurried in, dressed as human maids. Isildilia had never seen them before in the short time she had stayed here. One had hair black as ebony, while the other was flaming red. Both of them stood straight as a board as Valin went past.  The black haired maid carried a large, white dress in her arms. Isildilia looked at it and then at Valin.
   “Make sure she is ready,”’ he said as he passed them on his way out.