13. Finding Home Sweet Home

Start from the beginning

"You're a rick girl who doesn't like rich people music," Peter noted, his foot set on the wall behind him. "It makes no sense."

"I spent a few years sitting in my room in Stark Tower, hearing this type of music repeat over and over again through the intercoms as my father partied the night away," I recalled, remembering the restless nights of noise. "At first it was bearable, but pretty soon I was barely getting any sleep at all." I swallowed and rubbed my hands against each other. "Then my father pushed his girlfriend away. Things weren't going that well after he told her I was staying in Stark tower. Her and I, we never got along. She started getting a little more and more irritated whenever I was there.

"After I joined the Avengers, Dad just... pushed her away completely. Ultron had really shaken him up, and he was worried she would get hurt. Before we relocated out of the tower, I would sometimes find him drinking. It was then that I realized that we both needed each other." I grimaced at my answer. "That was a long answer, wasn't it?"

"Nah, you're fine," Peter shrugged as the elevator doors opened. We both walked out into the lobby and sat on a pair of couches. "I only had my parents for a little before they passed. It's actually nice hearing about other people's." I leaned closer to him so I could see him better and rested my arms over the couch's side.

"You mentioned your parents in Germany," I remembered. "What were they like?" Peter froze for a bit, and I felt a little bad. I guess people never asked what they were like, only how they left.

"W-Well, my mom was a super sweet person. I don't ever remember her yelling at anyone. She talked sometimes about having another kid, but she... she never got the chance." Peter took a quick break from talking and started fiddling his thumbs. I reached over and grabbed one of his hands with my organic one. He looked up at me with tear-filled eyes. He had seen me break down; now this was the first time I was seeing him this way.

"Hey," I said softly, rubbing his fingers. "It's okay. You don't have to continue. I'm sorry I asked." Peter shook his head and used his free hand to wipe his eyes.

"No, I-I think I needed to s-speak about them," he said shakily, sniffing a little. Neither of us let go of each other's hand. "My dad... he was the scientist in the family. Probably where I got my love of it from. He was gone a lot for work though. Despite him being away a lot, we were a good family." There was a brief silence before I pulled him to his feet.

"Thank you for telling me that, Spider-Boy," I smiled gently at him. "You said there's a deli nearby? You can get whatever you want, my treat." I felt his fingers lace around mine, linking our hands together, and I didn't pull away. For some reason, it actually felt kinda good.

"As you always say, food makes everything better," Peter smiled back. "It actually feels good, talking about them." He led me outside, and the two of us started walking down the sidewalk. "It's literally right next door," he chuckled, pointing across the street. "Delmar Deli, the best sandwhich shop in Queens!"

"Let's go, then!" The two of us laughed as we ran across the street, ignoring the funny looks passerby gave us. As we opened the doors, a bearded man stood up from behind the counter.

"Mr Parker," he greeted with a faint German accent. "Didn't think I would see you until the beginning of the school year. Where you been?"

"Here and there," Peter shrugged. He pushed me forward slightly. "Mr. Delmar, this is Bella. She's considering moving nearby." I felt a little uncomfortable as Delmar's eyes swept over me.

"Bella, is it?" he said. He leaned forward on the counter. "So how did you become Peter's boyfriend?" My eyes widened at his words.

"Oh, I'm not-" I started.