Chapter 8

(Kendrick's POV)

I am sitting in the livingroom tightly holding my backpack. The psychiatrist said some horrible things to me and I shut down again.

"Kendrick, answer the question. Did the Joker-"

"Stop." I cut him off and he sighs getting frustrated.

"Kendrick you need to answer the question. Did the Joker-"

"Stop it! Stop talking!" I yell at him from across the table as I stand. "The Joker didn't do anything! It's people like you who scarred me!"

He stands and yells back. "You can't pin this on us! You are the only one to blame for what happened! If you had listened at the bank NONE of us would be here!"

"Get out! Get out of my face! Get out of my case!" I yell and he grabs me by my shirt collar.

"Don't you talk to me like that." He says and I glare at him.

"Let. Go," I say and then Miss Selena comes in and gasps.

"Get out." She says and he lets me go and leaves. I begin to walk out of the door, but she stops me. "Kendrick, I-"

"No. No more. No more of these games. I'm leaving today with Gloria and I will not allow you to stop it." I say in a dark tone and she closes her mouth and nods. I know I've frightened her. I then leave. I go to my room and I grab my duffle bag. Then I take it downstairs and wait for Mister J and Gloria. I sit on the porch and I hear someone come sit with me.

"Is Mister J adopting you?" I hear Ella ask and I look to her. I don't say anything, but I nod.

"Yes, but you can't tell anybody," I say and she nods. I look back towards the door because it sounded like someone fell, and then I see a little pink duffle bag. "What's going on?"

"I'm being adopted." She says and I feel my heartbreak.

"By who?" I say and I hear a strange voice.

"By me." The voice says and I look. I don't know this man, but he stares at me as he knows me.

"Who are you?" I ask and he smiles.

"You don't recognize me?" He says and I glare at him. He looks at me and his face turns serious. "I guess you never saw my face. That makes sense."

"Do I know you?" I ask with an impatient tone.

"I work very closely with a 'friend' of yours." He says and I nod. I realize that he is one of Mister J's men. Soon I see Gloria pull up and there is a man with her. I stand up and watch the man. He looks at me and smiles. I smirk and roll my eyes. He chuckles to himself.

"Ready to go, Kendrick?" Gloria asks and I shrug.

"Sure," I say and I grab both mine and Ella's bag. I throw them in the trunk and we get into the car. I sit next to Mr. J who is sitting opposite us. I don't say anything I just look out the window.

"You alright, Kendrick?" I hear Mr. J ask.

"Yeah, fine," I say and he sighs.

"You're lying to me." He says and I look at him.

"They've done something to me, Mr. J. They've done something and I don't like it. I don't like what it is doing to me. I just want to be the old me again." I say and he nods.

"I understand that." He says and Ella climbs into the car and she gasps. He smiles at her with his twisted grin that is warm to us. "Hello, little princess."

"Mr. J!" She says happily and she jumps into his lap hugging his neck. I smile as the car begins to move. She sits between the two of us and she begins telling him about some kid's book she read. I lay my head on the window and I close my eyes. For the first time in my life, I finally feel at home.