Chapter 1

I wake up at noon and stretch my stiff body. I look to see everybody else's beds are made. I sigh and then get up and make my bed and then get dressed and head downstairs for lunch. I get down there and quietly eat my food as the others talk.

Did I mention that I have 30 brothers and sisters? I live in the Gotham orphanage. I am the only child here from my parents. Not like they even know who my parents are. My mother dropped me off at the doorstep in a cardboard box wrapped in a ripped-up blanket that smelled like drugs, according to the woman who found me.

I finished eating quickly and decide to go grab my backpack and walk around the city today. It's summertime and so there is no school. Not like I really do anything there anyway. I'm smarter than all of the teachers there and so it got to the point where one of my teachers paid for me to do online college classes. I almost have a bachelor's in chemistry and biology. I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I never really have. I've also taken several classes in anatomy and medical things. I technically could be a doctor. I just have to take the test, but I'm pretty sure I'd pass. I really have no idea what to do with my life.

Anyway. I make my way to the library to read more on the medical. I think I'm going to try the test to become a doctor soon. I study for several hours then I decide to go see my 'friends' at the bank. I say friends like that because they really don't like me. I have no idea why. I only ever go there to every once in a while deposit a check I get from working and to eat their suckers. I don't loiter much. They just hate me.

I walk into the bank and go straight to an open teller named Jackie. She is the only one who actually kind of sorta likes me I guess. I go over to her and she quickly deposits my check and I grab 3 suckers and go to leave when I hear a gunshot. I instinctively hit the floor startled by the noise as everybody screams. I see a bunch of men in clown masks come in with AK47's and they head towards the tellers including the one I'm currently laying in front of. A big burly guy comes to where I am.

"Move kid!" One yells and I look at him. I am about to move when he yells. "Move you worthless piece of trash!"

I glare at him and I stand in front of him.

"What did you just call me?" I challenge. Oh did I mention I have a bit of a temper? Well, I do.

"You must be deaf. Get out of my way!" He yells in my face.

"Hey! I didn't ask to be here when you bozos came in! I don't care who you are or what the heck you think you're doing, but NOBODY speaks to me that way!" I scream in his face and he punches me in the face I stumble back against the counter. I hear the teller gasp.

"Kendrick, just do as the man says." I hear the teller says. I wipe my bloody lip and hit the man in the gut than in the plastic clown mask. He stumbles back this time and I hear a pistol go off.

"Now. Now boys. Let's play nice." I hear a raspy deep voice say and I look and see the most dangerous man in all of Gotham. The Joker. Most people are afraid of him, but to all the more honest I'm sort of fascinated by him. "Now why are the two of you fighting?"

"The stupid little runt won't listen." The clown-faced says.

"Hey! Stupid head, if you wanted me to move you could have just asked." I say and he looks at me.

"I did you, little runt!" He shouts and I punch him in the face again I hear the Joker laugh.

"You don't learn, do you? That's what got ya popped the first time." I say and the Joker looks at me.

"I like you boy. What's your name?" He asks and I glare at him.

"None ya," I say.

"None ya?" He says confused.