Chapter 24

I was sat in the library with Neville, studying for a test. "Pass me the notes?" he asked and I handed them over to him. "Thanks." He read over them and then looked back up at me. "Sam, can I ask you something?" he wondered. "Yeah, of course" I replied. "What do you want to do when you finish school next year? Or are you gonna do year seven as well?" "I'm not sure" I admitted. "Do you have a dream job? Do you know what you want to be?" "I don't know, to be honest. I mean ... I actually think that I might want a muggle job. You know, they fascinate me. But if that doesn't work out, I'd love to open a little shop in Diagon Alley." "Really? Open a shop? What kind?" he asked in surprise and put down his notes. He seemed interested. "Not really a store ... more like a little café where you can still buy stuff ... a place you can go to and like hang out at when you're upset, an escape that makes you feel a better, nice little things for cheap, you know. Just to have a place that makes people feel comfortable, comfortable and confident about meeting people who feel exactly the way they do."

Neville smiled. "That is the best idea for the future that I have heard in a while." I smiled back. "Thanks, I've had this plan in my head for a long time now. I bet you want to do something with herbology, right?" He nodded. "It's like the only thing I'm good at" he grinned. "Now that's not true!" I laughed.

After having lunch with Luna after our classes and passing the test alright, I went up to the dorms by myself, I didn't want to go to the Gryffindor common room with the others because I was way too tired. Shortly before I reached the spiral stairs to our common room though, I saw Draco around the corner, he was standing there, looking around with his back against the wall. When he saw me, he walked straight up to me.

"What?" I asked. I wasn't in the mood of him messing with me right now. I was tired and the test had already exhausted me to the point where I couldn't handle any more shit today. "I'm just here to ask you a question, Sam" he said and took my hand, pulling me around the corner into a darker corridor. "Which is?" I wondered and stared up at him while licking my lips. "Why did you want to end everything?" he asked. I took a deep breath. "I told you." "There's something else and I know it." How much attention was he paying when I thought he didn't care?! 

I was struggling. "We're not even ... I mean, what's there to end? We're not even anything. And then there's the fact that I don't want to be..." "What?" "I don't want to be like that best friend I used to have." "What do you mean?" he asked, staring at me. "I mean, if I let this happen, I might just not be able to keep this a secret any longer. Which means I would take it too far and then maybe I would become just as rude as you." "You think I'll drag you down? That's why you keep pushing me away?" "Not the only reason but yes, that is one of them." He stepped forward and lifted my chin up with his finger, kissing me softly for just a moment. "Goodnight" he whispered, stroking my hair gently before walking away.

That night, I did not cry. I had managed to tell him something that was going to make him understand a little more, I had not been weak. And it was nice to know that he had waited for me by the common room just to understand what was going on. And he had listened to me which was something I had needed. But I had still let him control me. I was starting to feel like maybe that little soft kiss could have been worth it.