Chapter Four: Alone

Draco sat up groggily and rubbed his eyes. He hadn't gotten much sleep last night. He sighed and pulled himself out of the bed. He got ready and went down to breakfast. He couldn't help but notice how much the other Slytherins avoided him. Others were too but they always did. He sat as far away as he could from the others and ignored their whispering. He looked over at the Gryfdendor table and found himself glearing at Harry.

Harry glared  back at the Slytherin and Ron hit his arm. He tore his gaze from Draco and looked at his red headed friend. 

"Yes, Ron?" he asked.

"I just asked how yesterday went," Ron stated with an eyeroll. "Do I need to hex Malfoy?"

Harry laughed at how hopeful he was and placed a hand on Ron's shoulder.

"It's fine, Ron," he chuckled. "No need to hex anyone."

Ron sighed, disappointed, and went back to eating. Harry rolled his eyes and looked at Hermione, who had tapped him on the shoulder.

"You realise that he hasn't been with the other Slytherins?" she noted. Harry looked over at Draco and noticed that he was away from them.

"Why do you think that is?" he asked.

"I am not sure," she frowned.

"Well, I am going to get to the bottom of it," Harry stated. Hermione smirked at him.

"Of course, and don't you two have to work on your project today?" she asked and Harry blushed. "You can talk to him then. Now lets get going before we are late."

The day went by pretty fast and soon it was time for Harry to meet Draco at the library. He spotted Draco in the spot they were yesterday. He sat next to him and Draco looked up from the book he was reading.

"Late, Mr. Potter," he said, his voice mimicking Snape's.

"Sorry, Professor," Harry grinned with an eye roll. Draco smiled and then grew serious. Harry frowned as the real Draco appeared.

"Shall we begin, Potter?" Draco asked. They worked for a while before Harry got the nerve to talk to him.

"You know, Malfoy, you haven't been hanging out with other Slytherins very often," he began. A ripping noise caused him to look over and he saw that Draco's quill had ripped through the parchment he had been writing on. Draco cursed and muttered a mending spell before turning to Harry.

"Why is that your buisness, Potter?" he snapped.

"It seems to really be getting to you," Harry pointed out and Draco studied him before sighing.

"It's complicated," he muttered.

"Malfoy," Harry sighed with an eyeroll.

"Fine, but not here. Meet me in the astronomy tower at midnight," he told him and gathered his things.

"Bye, Malfoy," Harry called after him. Draco walked into the Slytherin common and ignored the glares of the others. He walked up the stairs to his room and sat on his bed. Moments later, Blaise waltzed into the room and sat on his bed facing Draco.

"A Death Eater and the boy who lived. Quite ironic, if I say so myself," he chuckled.

"What do you want, Zabini?" Draco spat. Mischief glimmered in Blaise's eyes as Draco looked at him.

"Nothing of course," he shrugged. "But I would love to see the look on your father's face when he gets the news that his son is with Harry Potter."

"There is nothing going on, Blaise. It's all in your head," Draco told him with an eye roll. "We are just partners for a project."

"Of course you are," Blaise chuckled. "That is why you are going to meet him tonight."

Draco snorted. He knew by the tone of Blaise's voice that he really didn't know anything. He was just guessing and hoping to be right.

"Is that the best you can come up with, Zabini? Meeting Potter in the dead of night?" he laughed and Blaise's face fell. "Isn't that a cliché muggle idea?"

"Well, Malfoy, I guess you are just known as a traitor. Good thing, too," Blaise said, standing up and walking towards the door. Before leaving, he looked over hos shoulder and added, "Even your mother wouldn't have supported you."

Draco watched as the boy left the room before he let the tear slip. He quickly wiped it away and cursed Zabini profusely. He suddenly realised that it was dinner and marched down to it. He wasn't all that hungry but he couldn't stay in that place. The house of traitors. He sat at the table and merely sipped pumpkin juice.

"Malfoy, are you alright?" He jumped and looked up at the Gryffindor. He wiped his eyes. He hadn't even realised that he had been crying.

"I-I'm fine," he choked out. Harry rolled his eyes and pulled Draco up by his arm.

"What are you doing?" Draco protested.

"Taking you somewhere private," Harry told him. He drug the protesting Slytherin down the corridor and into the room of requirement. Inside was a fireplace, and a coach with a blanket thrown over it.

"Tell me what's going on, Malfoy," he insisted. Draco stared at him and sat on the couch, pulling his knees to his chest.

"Why do you even care?" he asked.

"I'm worried about you, Malfoy. Ever since last year, you have seemed..." he paused, searching for the right word. "Broken."

"It's a long story," Draco sniffed.

"We have time," Harry insisted.

"People will get suspicious," he tried again.

"If you don't want to tell me, just say so," Harry told him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"You know what was supposed to happen last year, right?" Draco asked.

"Of course," Harry answered. Everyone knew it. It was part of the reason that Draco was avoided.

"Well, I didn't go through with it. I couldn't. I told... him that I just couldn't do it anymore. He threw a curse at me but my mom got in front of me and she...she," he began to cry and Harry wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "I ran out before he could throw another one. My father shouted that I was no longer his son. When I came back to Hogwarts, everyone hated me. Especially my house. They all said that I should have been hit by that curse. And..." he wasn't sure if he could tell Harry. "I was dating...Blaise and he broke up with me over the summer."

He began to cry and Harry rubbed his back. He sobbed uncontrollably and buried his face in the crook of Harry's neck.

"I am completely alone," he choked.

"Don't say that, Draco. You are never alone," Harry told him.

"I am. No one..."

"Shut up," Harry snapped and Draco shrank back but Harry grabbed him and pukled him into a hug. "I will never leave you, Draco. I promise. We may have not been friends but I want you to know that I will always be here for you."

"After all that I have done to you?" Draco hiccupped.

"I can see that you've changed. Anyone can see that," Harry told him soothingly.

"Thank you, Harry," he smiled sadly.

"You look cuter with a real smile," Harry smiled. A light  blush crept across Draco's face.

"You think that I'm cute?" he asked. Harry immediately blushed a deep red.

"Well...um... yes I do," Harry stuttered. Draco smiled and rested his head on Harry's chest.

"I really am grateful that you are here, Harry."

"I wouldn't let anyone go through this," he whispered and gently kissed the top of Draco's head. A few moments later, Draco was lightly snoring and Harry chuckled. He didn't want to move and wake up the sleeping boy.

"Goodnight, Malfoy," he whispered and pulled the blanket over them.