Chapter 12- Denver Zoo

Start from the beginning

Both Tom and I got our clothes washed last night, and we even took a shower (not together, you perverts), so we were all clean from our hike yesterday. 

And then we were off, me driving this time, with only a GPS to guide me through these unfamiliar roads. I had to push my seat forward a lot when I first got in the car, mostly because Tom's legs are a mile longer than mine. 

Tom, probably bored without anything to do, turns on the A/C, some light tunes from his phone, and asks if I brought any books. So I, in return, say yes, and tell him he can look through my book bag. So he does.

"You must like classics," he remarks, pulling out two classics in a row, grinning lightly.

I just shrug. "I'm trying to broaden my horizons. Or, my library, I guess I should say."

"The Great Gatsby," he says, pulling out another book. "This brings back memories."

"What sort of memories?" I ask.

He's silent for a moment, which makes me wonder if I maybe pushed a wrong button. Went over the line.

"It's a work thing," he finally says, which makes me mentally note to never bring it up again.

"I haven't even read it yet. I'm on page five."

"I might read it myself, if you don't mind."

"If you're going to read it... Can you read it out loud?"

"You want me to?" He asks, sounding a little surprised. 

I smile lightly, biting my lower lip. Wondering how I go on about this without seeming creepy. "Yes, please."

"Yeah, sure. But why would you want me to read it if you could just get a free audio book online?" He asks.

Because you're free, British, and I love hearing your voice. "Because it'll just be easier for you to read it out loud. Please, Thomas?"

"Give me a kiss first."

"What?" My cheeks flush suddenly at his words, and my thoughts race through my mind, so many questions at once. Did I hear him right? Is this happening? Is he joking? Am I overreacting? Surely he's joking? 

"I'm kidding, love," he then says, grinning and laughing cheerfully at the same time. "Oh, you should have seen your face. Your cheeks, mostly. Oh, there they are again!"

"Shut up," I snap, frowning in embarrassment. 

"You know I'm just teasing, Cass." His hand moves to my shoulder, squeezing it gently. "Forgive me?"

"Yeah, okay..."

"Okay." He pulls his hand to his lips, presses a kiss to the back of his fingers, and caresses my cheek with them, as if giving me a kiss on my cheek. Long distance. With his hand. But I'm not complaining. 

"Read now," I say gently. "Read with that brilliant voice of yours." 

He chuckles. "Oh, yeah, because my voice out loud is so great," he jokes, opening the book up to the first page.

"It is," I say. "You're so modest, Thomas."

He smiles gently, as if it's another subject not to bring up. "Well... It's better than being vain."

But before I can argue, he begins to read. 

"Chapter one. 'In my younger and more vulnerable years, my...'"

~

Denver Zoo was huge. And crowded. Tom and I were signed up for a group tour guide, mostly because getting lost was the last thing we wanted to do. His hand firmly gripped mine, his sunglasses over his blue eyes. I often found my eyes wandering up to him, and he would always tease me by remembering he wasn't one of the exhibits. I knew he meant well whenever he teased.