Chapter 1 Part 5 Odarrian's

Five

Work at the hospital was busy as usual, but she finished early as she had no commitments at the university on this particular Sixday. She arrived home at 18:30 to some journal articles and patient's cases to read.

She prepared herself for her date with Julian.

Shall I wear the hot pink or the powder blue she wondered. She decided on the hot pink. As she placed it on her buxom figure the waist settled into a nicely tapering V. Her hips accentuate with the flowing material and her bust is tastefully covered. As she surveys the overall effect she notes how sensual it will be. She stepped into her leather suede black boots. They fit nicely nearly up to the knee. She looks at the auto-groomer. No, she thought. She took fifteen minutes to apply her makeup, nail polish and lipstick. She brushed her hair, glanced in the mirror and seeing the clock on the wall, she swore.

"Oh Dakar! I will be late again!" She nearly tripped on the old coat rack in the hall, and slammed the door.

She rushed downstairs to the waiting limousine where her driver Max was standing patiently, waiting to close the car door.

Max is a state of the art personal servant robot of the Model 15.600. His appearance is of a male humanoid; his skin is a plastic polymer, coloured and textured to appear humanlike. His eyes are a glassy blue and somewhat appealing. As she looked into his eyes, she realized that he has no soul but she loved him dearly. He wore a black chauffeur's hat and a smart black suit. He was a gift from her father on her 21st birthday and she loves him as though he was part of the family. She had always maintained him meticulously. Actually, she had religiously sent him to the robotics factory annually for maintenance. As she puts her bottom on the seat she feels a lump next to her. She feels under her and finds a plastic part. "Oh God, Max! Is this from you?

"No, I am sorry, Madam, " replied the robot indifferently. "I am in optimal condition," he says as he stands beside the limousine. That is part 6/96-437 from the hydrodynamic unit that I am taking to be replaced, miss Regina."

"Thank the Hearbytes for that." Said Regina "I wasn't fancying going to the robotic factory"

"So, we are off to church then?" asked Max. Regina smiled.

"I have a dinner date," says Regina, somewhat excited, "Guess who with?" She muses.

"Would that be Professor Julian Aken, ma'am?" asks the robot through the window. She lifts the corner of her brow.

"You are too smart for your own good, Max."

"Thank you, Madam...I have been with you for fourteen years," said the robot as he walked around the large ground car.

"Take me to the Odarrian Restaurant."

"Yes Madam, tasteful choice." said the robot as he sat into the car. He closed his door.

Driving through a wealthy commercial part of the city, they pull up to the restaurant, "Have a nice flight, madam." A large security robot opened her door and Regina got out of the grav/speeder and placed her feet on a purple carpet.

"Good Evening Miss Holmes" said the robot in an efficacious voice. "Welcome to Odarrians'" Regina smiled and waved bye to Max. There are a few electronic beeps as the two robots exchange greetings. Regina often wondered what went on between robots when they did that. She made a mental note to ask Max about it again some time.

Odarrians' was the highest tech restaurant on the planet. Its burnished steel frames and huge plassteel windows make it highly sought after to the beautiful and rich people of Regina. It is renowned for its use of a large gravitic device and fusion power making it capable of floating above the city. Regina gave Max another cursory wave, which meant that she will call him when she needs him. She took the lift to the mezzanine floor overlooking much of the city and starport. As she entered the restaurant, Regina noticed the sheer opulence of the place. The clever use of purples, blues and yellows gave the restaurant an ambiance of safety, comfort, and function as well as the beautiful settings. The use of the curved steel architecture combined beauty and function. The hundred or so tables were designed in octagonal shapes with purple table clothes. They were positioned intimately on several levels around the windows of the restaurant. The chairs are of steel-backed design with beautiful yellow and duck egg blue cushions.