Part 4

PONG

Sorry my friends are kinda drunken disasters, Lux texted me as we sat side by side watching the last round of beer pong.

haha it's okay. At least they're nice

You're the best, he wrote, :) miss you

He didn't have to explain how he could miss me when we were right next to each other. It was a chilly fall night and having to pretend that I didn't want to curl up in his arms was torture.

going crazy not touching you, babe

me tooooooooooo

His eyes sparkled at me from underneath his lashes. I blushed as my whole body went warm. I couldn't stop staring at him. He was so perfect.

"-I won!" Valerie hollered/slurred as she danced around the table, "Told ya I'm not havin' your baby, sucker! Ever! I'M A FREE WOMAN!" she danced harder, "Now I'ma throw up. Shannon! Hold my hair!"

Shannon rolled her eyes, "Yay. Underage drinking is sooo fun."

"Forget it," Val said as she stumbled a few feet away and hurled into a bush. "You're such a lame." She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "You and Lux and the new kid should'a just drank like the rest of us. That was the whole point of this thing! We're supposed to be getting hammered and doing fun stuff. It's senior year!"

She narrowed her eyes on me, "Come on, new kid." She zig-zagged towards me and flopped down on my lap. "You're kinda boring, but you're super hot. There's gotta be something fun you like to do." She winked, or tried to wink. She was too drunk so she ended up just blinking really hard instead.

"Uhh..." I looked over at Lux and Shannon but they were too busy laughing to save me.

"It's cold and you could sleep in my tent." She tossed her hair and almost fell off my lap.

"Seriously, Val?" The tone of Greg's voice stopped everyone from laughing. He'd just been joking around with everyone and now he was so angry he was shaking. "Are you freaking kidding me?"

Val turned around to face Greg, "What?"

"You came here with me." he said.

"Really?" Val rolled her eyes, "We drove here together. That doesn't make us together. It doesn't make us anything but in the same car! Besides, he's cuter than you and that's not my fault."

Everything changed so fast. Greg had his hands around Valerie's neck before anyone had time to make a move.

"No!" I shouted, lunging towards Greg, but Lux made it to him first, crashing into him so that he lost his hold on Valerie and stumbled back.

"Val!" Shannon screamed as she ran towards her friend. Everyone was shouting as they rushed to hold Greg in place.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Lavelle hulked over Greg.

"You see what she's doing! That guy she's all over, he's a queer!" Greg screamed, "Is that what you want, Val? A freakin' queer?"

I froze as my heart dropped down to my stomach.

Greg turned to Lux, "I caught him, like, looking at you, man! When we were playing pong he was staring at you. I'm watching your back, right now. He's a queer and I freakin' know it!"

"Enough." Lux growled, his face tightening as he tried to gage the reaction of his other friends. Fists clenched, he looked ready to fight them all if necessary.