16. Frienship Tales

~ some relations don't change, despite the distance!~

" I am worried for Shiwali", Pakhi turned, and Nandini could feel a weird sensation in the pit of her stomach. Earlier it was only Manik, but now, it felt like Pakhi was also supporting Team Shiwali. A wave of rage threatened to paralyse Nandini, but the sane part of her held on, and she kept her hand over Pakhi's.

"Why? What happened?", She queried softly, trying to keep her voice calm, and not letting the glimpses of storm inside her seen.

Pakhi sighed at the question. She was not a mother to her for namesake, she could clearly see in Nandini's eyes, the disappointments and anger she was trying to hide. It made her skeptical to share the worry eroding her. But Nandini was no less, she too knew that no matter how much she tried, Pakhi would anyhow see through her, and that would make her try and protect her from further hurt.

" It's okay maa, we both know she is an inevitable part of all our lives", Nandini rubbed Pakhi's arm lightly and Pakhi in turn let out a deep breath.

" In the past seven years that I have known her Nandini, this is the first sunday she is missing. I think we both know why, and all these- it's making me worry, for all three of you", Pakhi wiped her lower waterline, trying hard to keep her emotions in check.

Nandini hugged her coyly, letting her relax and patted her head mildly.

"Worry won't solve it maa. We need to be strong, and hopeful. And don't worry about Shiwali. I will see what I can do!", She assured Pakhi was was a little surprised to see this mature side of Nandini. Wasn't she the same girl who had proposed to marry Manik a few days ago? And today she was trying to assure she would hold on to the thread that might strangle her own dreams. Love really did change people, and Pakhi could sense that, already.

Nandini wanted to go and talk to Manik, about Shiwali, but she knew she needed to calm herself down first. It was another side of the river where she had promised Pakhi to look into the matter, and right then, she was on entirely other side, the side where her negative emotions ruled her.

Sitting on the bed with a loud thud, she hid her face in her tiny palms. She had expected to break into sobs, but she didn't. Because in the loneliness of the room, the emotion that overpowered her was not grief but anger. She threw her favourite heart pillow on the floor, and slept on her stomach burying her face into another one, trying to cover the screams that escaped her. After a few minutes, she sat up, but that rage was still there in the pit of her stomach. She could feel it. And she knew she needed to get rid of it. She turned and picked up a vase from the bedside, ready to shatter it in one go, like her own shattered heart when she felt two muscular arms hold her down.

Just the essence of touch and she know who it was. She could recognize his touch amidst a thousand other people, just like that. She raised her eyes to look at him who had worry in his eyes. For her.

" Why Manik?", Two words, but it pained both of them equally. They both knew why, and they were both suffering.

" How could you replace me just like that?", She cried, letting go of the vase, and resting her head on his chest.

Manik rubbed her back with one hand, while the other was wrapped around her petite frame. Somehow, he made her sit on the bed, as she cried more resting her head on his shoulder. When finally her cries subsided,she looked up at him again, fluttering her eyes to keep away the next batch of fresh tears.

" Am I imagining or are you real?", She asked very lowly, she was afraid her voice will shatter the illusion and Manik will go away.

Manik smiled at her, a painful one, and leaned in to drop a small, quick peck at her forehead. Nandini closed her eyes, to let the realization sink in, and also letting the tears flow again.