Chapter 23: Duets and Vulnerabilities

Start from the beginning

Marley and John: We don't notice any time pass

Marley: We don't notice anything. We sit side by side in every class.

John: Teacher thinks that I sound funny

Marley and John: But she likes the way you sing

Mr. Schue smiled as the two reached the middle, realizing how little attention he'd paid to John, who was a natural on stage. His seemingly effortless strumming as he sang with Marley, whose voice helped showcase any talent, reminded him of Puck during his later years at McKinley. Although it seemed like they didn't have much interest in the club, when they started playing their music they revealed otherwise.

John: Tonight I'll dream while I'm in bed, when silly thoughts go through my head about the bugs and alphabet and when I wake tomorrow I'll bet

Marley: That you and I will walk together again. I can tell that we are gonna be friends

John and Marley: Yes I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

The rest of the glee club clapped after the last note was strummed. John took off his guitar as Marley led them down the stairs. Unfortunately, the only spot open was the one that was left to them when Bree and Joe got up, and that happened to be next to Kitty and Sugar. Not wanting to make Marley uncomfortable, John sat down next to Kitty and looked forward, afraid to make eye contact.

Meanwhile, as Bree and Joe set up on stage, Jake leaned into Julie. "Are you going to answer Sam's text already or is me being next to you making it weird?" he asked her. She looked at him for a brief moment, sighing as she opened up her phone and opened the message Sam had sent her Friday night after she left him a voicemail. Jake readed quickly and whistled.

"That's brutal," he said. Then he realized he'd said it rather loudly and looked around, finding Ryder and Unique eyeing them, as well as Dan and Shana. Luckily, Bree's voice turned all eyes to the stage and away from them.

"We are going to sing 'Titanitum' by David Guetta," she told them.

"An acoustic version," Joe added as he grabbed his guitar and played.

"Are you, like, the only girl in glee club who plays guitar?" Jake asked Julie in a whisper. "Maybe you should hold some lessons so that it's not just the guys all the time." Julie rolled her eyes at him just as Joe began and the music started playing.

Joe: You shout it out... but I can't hear a word you say. I'm talking loud not saying much... I'm criticized.... but all your bullets ricochet. Shoot me down, but I get up...

Bree took a step forward, nervous about singing a song that was emotional for once. This time, she couldn't hide behind her dancing.

Bree: I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose. Fire away, fire away. Ricochet, you take your aim. Fire away, fire away.

Julie smiled proudly as Jake realized with just that moment that she was right. Bree had redeemable moments and that single verse had been one of them. But that wasn't it.

Bree: You shoot me down but I won't fall. I am titanium... You shoot me down but I won't fall. I am titanium.

Joe tried not to lose focus as he watched Bree transform on stage. He could tell from the look on everyone else's face that they were looking at a side of Bree they didn't know. A vulnerable, scared Bree. He sang the second verse flawlessly, followed by Bree on the chorus once again, until finally they sang together.

Joe and Bree: Stone-hard, machine gun... Firing at the ones who run... Stone-hard as bulletproof glass...

The two sang the rest of the song together and Bree was surprised when the end resulted in applause and praise as she headed back to her seat. Joe put the guitar down at the edge of the stage and followed suit. Kitty and Sugar quickly volunteered to go next, as the former could not stand the tension between John and she.