Chapter 1: Engaging on a Truce

Start from the beginning

"It's just, I've went five years without seeing her. I've lived in the same state as her, only a few cities away, and I haven't bumped into her. I've had amazing luck, but—now."

"You're best friend is getting married, and you are going to have to see her? Wow, so unlucky."

"I'm happy for him, I am. But," he sighed. "It's complicated."

"Then do yourself a favor, and un-complicate it. Why don't you have a fresh start with the girl? You know? Begin again."

He stayed silent. Sure, it would be easier that way. He guessed. Although, this was Spencer Hastings. He doubted she was willing to turn over a new leaf. She was an arrogant, manipulative, stubborn, stuck up snob and he doubted she changed since high school.

"We'll see."

The topic was soon dropped between the two and transferred to the question of why Emily was bringing Toby as her date instead of her girlfriend, Paige. Emily told him that she was still practicing for the upcoming meet at their university. They had practiced most of the morning and afternoon, but that wasn't enough for Paige. Emily saw that, and told her girlfriend to stay behind—it would be fine. Toby told her that was nice of her; where she went on to invite him to the meet.

When they arrived, the party was already vividly alive. Colors of purples, pinks, and golds, were splashed everywhere. Toby could only assume these were the wedding colors, which also seemed very Hanna like. He doubted Caleb was all yippy giddy about it.

"Oh, I see Hanna!" Emily exclaimed, happily, a jolly smile coating her mouth. She took Toby's hand in hers and guided them throughout the party. As they went on their travels, Toby spotted a few people from high school and internally groaned. Although he did not spot Spencer.

"Hanna!" The swimmer yelled with an avid enthusiasm, running towards the blonde in almost leaps. The two already had their arms out before they were in contact. They clashed into each other with a full force hug that lasted for at least two minutes. Toby couldn't quite understand them over the music, and the fact that they were speaking through giggles and whispers.

After they finally pulled out there everlasting hug, Toby pulled Hanna into a sweet, but much shorter, hug.

"Where's Paige?" Hanna asked after they all settled down.

"Where do you think?"

Hanna rolled her sky blue eyes and mumbled, "of course."

"What about you Toby? Why didn't you bring a date?"

He shrugged, about to say something, but Hanna spoke first. "Afraid that your girlfriend will get jealous?"

His eyes did a roll around. "I'm not even going to reply to that."

She laughed, putting a hand on his shoulder as she passed by him. Emily was at her side in a blink and he got the feeling he wasn't invited to come along.

He wandered around until he eventually ran into the man he wanted to see; Caleb Rivers.

"Congratulations, buddy!" Toby called from behind, seeing that notorious mop of hair.

Caleb turned around in an instant, a gigantic smile spreading across his face. "Dude, I was wondering when you'd show up!" the man proclaimed, taking his friend into a hug.

The hug was a lot shorter than the one Emily and Hanna shared, and even shorter that the one between him and Hanna.

"I told you she'd say yes."

Caleb waved him off, taking a drink of his beer in hand. "I don't know why I was so worried. Hanna has barely slept since I asked her, she's either going crazy with wedding plans or trying to get crazy with me, if you know what I'm saying."