Epilogue

I found myself thinking about Des often. He was sentenced to four years in prison for one count of attempted murder. I thought that he would get more time, but the judge went with the minimum because Des begged and pleaded. He had convinced everyone in that courtroom that he was really a family-man. Well, everyone but me and Tech. We held hands and prayed that he would be there long enough for rehabilitation. I guess, time would have to decide that.

Tech and I moved, together, into a new house on the other side of Murphy. It was closer to his job and it made him feel like he was offering more protection. He was only one call and a hop away. It was needed because, for weeks after the incident, I was so stressed. We didn't know what would come our way. What we did know is that we were going to face it together.

Kelsi asked about Des every now and then. It was strange for her because she had gone from seeing him multiple times per week to not seeing him at all. I was so protective over her and her mind that I didn't want to start any visits just yet. I did, however, let her receive phone calls from him. They talked for as long as fifteen minutes at a time. I, on the other hand, had absolutely nothing to say to him.

It was a Friday evening. Tech was coming in from work. He sat his things on the table and came over to me at the counter.

"How was your day?" I asked. His clothes were dirty, and he needed a shower badly. I knew he had been working hard.

He kissed me gently. "Worth it, knowing my girls are well-taken care of."

I smiled. "That, we are. Go get a shower while I warm up your dinner. Kelsi wants to show you the art project she did today."

"Baby girl!" he called to her, nearing her room. "Let me see your picture! I can't eat or anything until I see your picture."

I knew Tech wasn't her biological father, but I appreciated him showing her the same love. "Did you check the mailbox?" I asked him.

Kelsi ran full speed into his arms. He lifted her up towards the roof and brought her down to hold her tight. "Mail's on the table, ma."

I watched him ooh and ahh over her colorful picture of nothing in particular. Flipping through the mail, I tossed out junk and sat the bills aside. There was one piece that caught my attention. I said I had nothing to say to Des, but apparently, he had something to say to me.

Quickly opening the letter, my heart nearly exploded. I was so nervous. I took each word in carefully. It read:

Dear Kyndall,

I know I'm probably the last person you want to hear from. I miss you, baby. I mean that. The stuff I put you through haunts me every night. I can't even believe it even got to this point. I never meant to hurt you, baby. You gotta believe me. You gotta see me for who I'm trying to become and not who I am right now. This experience has taught me so much. I hurt you so bad and I want to make it up to you. I know my issues with Tech will probably never be resolved and I'm okay with that. If I never have a friend in him again, then I can live with that. If I never have a friend in you, then... Well, what I'm really saying is that I need you. I need you in my life like I need my heart to keep beating. I did all of this out of my true love for you. I won't be down forever. I won't be locked up for long. When my release date is here, I'm coming back to you. I want us to be married and have some more kids. I want all of you and I want to give you all of me. I told you my love for you and Kelsi is 'til eternity, and I've never said anything I didn't mean.

Desmond

DCKCKS2ET

Was it really over?