Chapter 3: Help Wanted

I had only talked to Des once on Sunday. I was supposed to be picking Kelsi up, but he convinced me to let her stay another night. It wasn't a problem, but I missed my baby. He took her to daycare Monday morning while I went to work. He called me early to confirm our plans.

"How are you today?" he asked, sounding surprisingly pleasant. He's never been a morning person.

I was driving to work and traffic was thicker than usual. "I'm fine, Des. What's up? Is something wrong?"

"Nope. I just dropped Kelsi off at daycare."

"Then, what's up?"

Des sighed. "So, I heard you were at Link the other night and you were looking pretty right."

I didn't say anything. "Des, come on."

"No, listen. I heard Stone was pushing up on you."

"Who told you that?"

Des chuckled. "Girl, you know I know people. This town talks to me. It doesn't matter. Do I need to handle that? Was he making you uncomfortable?"

My heart was racing. "No, Des. I got it. I'm good. I went out with Tamera and we had a good time. Stone didn't make me uncomfortable."

"He didn't make you uncomfortable because you liked it?" Des asked.

"Desmond! Do I do this to you when it comes to the women you creep with? I don't. I said I got it. Thank you for getting our daughter for the weekend and thank you for taking her to daycare this morning. I have to get to work. You have a good day."

"You got it." He hung up.

I called Tech. I was tapping the steering wheel like it would make him answer faster. "Tech," I said when he answered. "Did you tell Des about Stone?"

"No," he said. "You know everybody in Link knows Des. I don't even know why you came in there. You're going to have to tell him about us before someone else does."

"I'll tell him tonight," I sighed. "Can we tell him together?"

"Whatever gets this over with," he said, "I gotta get back to work."

"Okay. I'll see you later."

My mind was on Des and Tech. That was it. I could barely focus on the road. I almost hit two cars on my way to work. Today was just not my day. At least my first client was on time and Tamera was already there.

"Hey," I spoke to my client.

She smiled. "Hey, girl. I just need a simple wash and wrap."

"Come sit in my chair. Hey, everybody."

"Hey!" everyone in the salon answered.

I placed the cape on my client and took her purse to lock it away. "Give me one second. Let me make sure Tamera is ready to shampoo you." I walked to the shampoo room and I could've tackled Tamera.

She was excited to see me. "Hey, Kyn. I'm glad you got home safe the other night."

"That's what I have to talk to you about." I pulled her to the corner.

"What's wrong?" she whispered.

I kept shaking my head. "Somebody told Des that Stone was pushing up on me at the club."

"So, what? He was."

"You don't think somebody will tell him that I was kissing on Tech there too?"

Tamera folded her arms. "You were tonguing Tech down on the dance floor? Where was I?"

"Somewhere dancing and drinking. Listen, Tamera, if Des finds out from someone else it's going to be bad."