(4.5) Mistake time!

"So Yu, have you thought about my proposal?" Nagone asked his younger brother, who had been avoiding him since the proposition had been made. Yukine jumped with a start when Nagone spoke from his bedroom doorway. "We could really use you."

"I don't know... are you sure?" Yukine asked, instead of answering. "Do you really want your kid brother as part of your operation? I'd probably just muck everything up."

"No you wouldn't Yu," Nagone assured unhelpfully. "You've got a knack for this, a little training up and you'll make a great second-in-command. What do you say Yukine? You're not gonna let me down, are ya?" Nagone's voice dropped a few threatening octaves with the last question.

"I guess not." Yukine mentally cursed himself, and his brother. "Where do I sign?"

Shirota threw a punch, and followed it up with a sweep kick. Ken dodged the first blow, but with the second, he landed on his butt in the grass. "You okay dude?" Shirota asked, reaching out a hand to help the other boy up. Ken took it, then grabbed Shirota's opposite shoulder and twisted around to he was holding Shirota's hand against his back and holding him to the ground.

"Not bad Ken-kun, nice technique, but you forgot one thing," Ken hummed in confusion as Shirota stood up, the white haired boy still firmly attached to his back. "You weigh, like, ten kilograms. Seriously, you're almost lighter than Fumei-kun, are you getting enough to eat?" Shirota pried his arm out of Ken's grasp, as he continued to essentially piggy pack on Shirota, wrapping his arms around his neck from behind in a chokehold. Shirota grabbed Ken and flipped him over his head, back onto the grass.

Ken coughed and gasped for breath. He'd put up a good fight, but he always tired-out a lot faster than most others in the class. "It's none... of your business... how much... I eat," he panted out.

"Maybe not, but it takes all the fun out of sparring when someone who might actually have the skills to put up a fight runs out of energy after barely a minute," Shirota argued. "I could feel your arm bones when you put me in a chokehold and that can't be healthy."

"Shut up!" Ken said harshly, still laying on his back in the grass, trying to catch his breath. "It's not your job... to be concerned... for my health."

"Well whoever's job it is, they clearly aren't doing it right," Shirota raised an eyebrow.

"You suck," Ken grumbled.

"Whatever you say. Doesn't mean I can't care about a friend."

"Alright two minutes are up!" Nagisa announced. "Find a new partner, and square up!" Shirota helped Ken up, and this time didn't end up in the grass himself.

"Good luck with your next match," he said. Ken rolled his eyes and muttered a 'you too,' before wandering off to find a new sparring partner.

The next person Shirota sparred with was Marihara. She was a smart fighter, and she never made the first move unless she was sure she could do serious damage with it. It was possible to fight Marihara without her throwing a single punch, or you landing one. Her preferred fighting style was 'nope' which wasn't ideal for an assassin, but somehow it worked for her.

"Begin!" Nagisa-sensei shouted.

Shirota and Marihara circled each other. He could feel her eyes scanning him for weaknesses, even the slightest chink in his defense would be exploited by the bespectacled girl, which meant that he couldn't have any. He maintained a solid stance, kept his chin down, and his hands up.

Much to Shirota's surprise, Marihara made the first move, landing a heavy knee to his thigh, heavy for her, at least. Compared to others in the class she wasn't that powerful. He'd be surprised if there was even a bruise. Nonetheless, I caught him off-guard and he jumped back.