Exposition

Exposition (noun) - opening section in the fugue, the first section in which the voices enter in turn with the subject in sonata-allegro form, the first section in which the major thematic material is stated also statement

"That piece you were playing on the piano was really pretty," the tall boy said, causing the flustered girl before him to blush. The girl struggled to find words to accommodate her current emotions, which were many in number.

She needed to think this out before she blurted out something horrible and embarrassing. Because of her obsessive-compulsive disorder, it always helped her to put things in list, so she gathered up her feelings and set them in order.

1. She was surprised that anyone had ever paid attention to her playing. In fact, she had thought the walls of this abandoned music room were sound proof.

2. She was even more surprised that the handsome young boy -who she knew for a fact was quite the lady's man on campus- had felt the need to personally compliment her. Surely, it would've been much simpler to appreciate her playing in his head and then move on.

3. She was appalled at the word he had used for her beloved instrument.

4. Despite all of this, she was flattered, of course.

That was the top thing on her mind when he stared at her for a moment and then started to walk away. The boy thought she was deaf or something and decided he would just go.

"Say something, stupid" the girl thought to herself.

So, she blurted out the first thing that popped into her head

"Pianoforte," she corrected.

He turned around.

"What?"

"I-It's not piano, the correct term is pianoforte. Because it plays both quiet and high pitched notes -piano, and loud and deep notes -forte." She stuttered out.

The handsome young man paused and stared at her, seemingly deep in thought. The girl instantly felt regret and shame in her words.

"I-l mean, never mind. Most people call it a piano, anyway. It-it's okay," she said, turning away to go. The boy smiled at the private shy girl.

He liked her; he wanted to know her better.

"No, it's okay! Pianoforte, you said? I never knew that. Thank you for telling me."

She smiled at him. He smiled back.

And that was the beginning of their long and complicated relationship.