19

Adora

"Okay, chop chop!" Brenna yelled, clapping her hands as she rushed through my house, "is everything ready for the dinner tonight?"

Zayn looked over his shoulder at her. "Should be about ready. All Adds has to do is cook, right?"

He looked over his other shoulder at me, making me nod. "Yep."

"Did you let Santiago know that it was at 6:30?" Brenna asked.

Zayn furrowed his brows together. "Santiago's coming?"

"Mm hmm," I said.

"And how does Derek feel about that?" He asked.

I just looked over at Zayn. "He's fine with it. He's the one who's been begging us to get along."

"That's ironic," he said, "business partners now buddies. Isn't that a little awkward, you know, them two being in the same room?"

"No," Brenna answered, "because Derek doesn't know."

Zayn just looked over at me, eyebrows furrowed together. "What do you mean, Derek doesn't know?"

I pursed my lips together. "Exactly what it sounds like, Derek doesn't know."

"Wait," Zayn said, shaking his head, "why doesn't he know?"

"It never came up," I mumbled.

"That's a big deal, Adds," he said.

"A big deal that never came up," I said, "Derek knows that I babysat for him. Which isn't a lie."

"But you're not telling him the whole thing," Zayn said, "isn't that lying, Adds?"

"No," Brenna answered, "it's not. It's just not telling him."

"Which is even worse, don't you think?" Zayn asked, furrowed brows over at Brenna.

"I'll tell him," I said, shifting from foot to foot, "one day."

"I hope that one day is before you two tie the knot," he said.

"I can handle it, Zayn," I said, "but thanks."

"Have you three been in a room together at the same time?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow up at me.

"Yes," I said, "and it worked out fine the other two times, so this time will also work out fine. Quote me on it."

He just shook his head. "I have faith in you, Addy."

"And you should," I said, resting a hand on his shoulder.

He just smiled down at me.

"Okay, time to say bye bye," Brenna said, "we've got a house to clean."

"Play it safe," Zayn warned, shooting me one last look before following Brenna out.

"I will," I muttered as he closed the door behind him.

~*~

Adora

I danced around to the music playing as I placed dishes on the counter, which was covered in food.

"Looks delicious, babe," Derek said, pressing a kiss to my cheek as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind.

"I'm so excited," I said.

"I can tell." He chuckled as he eyed the counter, shaking his head.

"Landon's flight should be coming in in an hour or so," I said, "let's start tidying up."

He walked into the living room and I began gathering up trash from the kitchen, throwing it in the trash can.

"I love how early it gets dark here," Derek said, peeking outside at the black skies.

"Me, too," I said.

Derek's phone started ringing and he rushed over to it, picking it up.

"Hello?"

I couldn't hear what the person on the other side of the phone, but I could tell they were saying something that bothered Derek.

He ran a hand through his hair, flexing his jaw muscle. "Alright. I'll be there in a few, keep her awake."

He pulled his phone away from his ear, jolting over to me. He pressed a kiss to my head. "I'm so sorry baby. I have to go."

"Babe, the d-"

"I know, and I'll make it up to you, but I seriously have to go, she's dying."

I just looked up at him with a sigh. "You're going to miss meeting Landon."

"I'll meet him another time, Adds, I seriously have to go. I'm sorry."

He slipped into his jacket and ran out of the door, making me sigh and cock my head over.

"It's only Derek," I reassured, pursing my lips together.

I shook it off. Tonight was going to be a good night, whether Derek was here or not.

I turned my music back on, my sad mood quickly transforming into another good mood.

A few minutes into dancing around and finishing up tidying up the house, my phone rang.

"Hello?" I sang into the speaker of the phone.

"Have you gotten any of my texts?"

I pulled my phone away from my ear, clicking on my messages. "No, why?"

"I've got bad news," she said.

"Please-"

"Landon's flight got delayed. The weather, or something screwed it up and he's not going to be in for a few more hours."

"You're joking," I said, "tell me you're joking."

"I wish I was, love," she said, "and Zayn and I would come for the dinner, but I think that kind of defeats the purpose. It was supposed to be for Lan-"

"Don't worry about it, Bren," I said, "Derek already had to leave, too. His cheetah is dying. Let's just call it off and reschedule."

"I'm sorry, love," she apologized.

"It's fine."

I hung up and sighed, looking at the counters filled with food. I flexed my jaw muscle and began wrapping it up when I heard a knock on the door.

I walked over to it and opened it, my lips parting at the man in front of me.

"Sorry if I'm late for the party," Santiago said, smiling at me.

"Uh," I said, shaking my head, "you're not."

He peeked inside. "Where is everyone?"

I bit down on my bottom lip. "Well, the party was kinda canceled. Until you showed up."

His lips parted. "Oh, well I'll leave-"

He turned around and I smiled as I leaned against the doorframe. "I can't eat all this food by myself, and I'm sure as hell not putting it to waste."

He turned around and smiled, flexing his jaw muscle. "You're sure?"

"Absolutely," I said, opening the door wider. He walked inside and shrugged out of his jacket, revealing his black long sleeve t-shirt and jeans.

"I, uh," he said, rubbing a hand through his hair, "I wasn't sure if it was casual or-"

I giggled. "You're fine."

He smiled and walked into the kitchen, arms folded over his chest. "Wow."

I just looked over at him, biting down on my bottom lip. "What is it?"

He chuckled. "That's a lot of food."

I sighed, smiling as I leaned against the counter. "I, uh, I kind of expected a full house."

He laughed. "Sorry I'm all you got."

I just smiled at him. "That's absolutely fine."

But why, of all people, was Santiago the one person to show up?

~*~

Adora (listen to this song, this is what is playing while they're having dinner :)

I laughed and took another drink of my wine, bracing my elbows on the table in front of me.

"Drinking with you while it's legal is a new feeling," Santiago said, tipping his wine glass back with a smile.

I laughed. "I think I drank in front of you, not with you."

He nodded. "I do remember."

I laughed. "That was a long time ago."

Our laughter died down and the sound of Cigarettes After Sex filled the room.

He just swirled his wine around in his glass, smiling at me.

I smiled, furrowing my brows together. "How are the boys?"

He nodded. "They're good. They just got in their first fight at school a few days ago."

My eyebrows shot up. "Oh, no. I'm assuming they won? I mean, they are Kings."

I took a sip of my wine, smiling at him as I did so.

He flexed his jaw muscle and smiled. "Yeah, I'm assuming they did. I mean, the other kid came out with a broken arm and they came out a little banged up."

I giggled. "Yeah, they won."

He smiled. His eyes darted down to my left hand. "Where's Derek?"

I pursed my lips together. "One of his animals at his hospitals is dying. He wanted to be there if something happened."

He just nodded. "Understandable."
I smiled. "Yeah. I guess it all worked out, because my friend missed his flight and no one else could show up, anyways."

He smiled. "I might've canceled a few meetings for this."

I scoffed. "You really shouldn't have."

He shook his head, his bottom lip jutted out. "It wasn't anything serious."

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "Okay."

He smiled.

A silence enveloped us, his eyes boring into me.

"When's the wedding?" He asked.

I looked up at him. "I'd answer that if I could."

His eyebrows went into a furrow and he folded his arms over his chest. "What do you mean?"

"Well," I began, sighing, "Derek's schedule is really inconsistent."

He nodded slowly.

"And he's running you know," I said, "a few businesses. He's just a busy guy."

Was I making up excuses?

He nodded. "Hey, I understand that."

I nodded, shooting him a smile. "I wish I knew when the wedding could be. So I could plan a big extravagant wedding that I've been dreaming about for years on top of years."

He smiled. "You deserve an extravagant wedding."

I couldn't help myself from looking up at him with the slightest bit of admiration in my eyes, my jaw muscle flexing.

That went away, because I made it, and I stood up and walked into the kitchen.

I cleared my throat. "I'm full."

"Same here," he said, "you're a fantastic cook."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"You learned how to," he said, grinning as he brushed past me.

I turned around and watched as he placed his plate in the sink, biting down on my bottom lip.

He leaned against the counter and pursed his lips together, folding his arms over his chest.

Why was I admiring Santiago King?

to be continued..

~*~

hi guys!!!! so I lied when I said no update because WATTPAD FINALLY BROUGHT MY BOOK BACK ❤️

I was getting rlly worried and pissed lol... mama bear was ab to attack.

Ha. I'm so thankful it's back though 😚😚

ALSO HOW MUCH DID WE LOVE SANTIAGO AND ADORA ALONE BC I FREAKED OUT WHILE WRITING THIS WHOLE CHAPTER I WAS SO SHAKY

also, keep an eye out for chapter 20 bc it's a continuation of the dinner (:

I hope we're ready for some drama in the upcoming chapters bc it's coming I swear guys.

ok. I love you guys ❤️❤️ MY DAILY UPDATES DIDNT DIE