17

Adora

"I've come to a conclusion."

I wrapped an arm around Derek's neck from behind, pursing my lips together as he typed out an e-mail.

"And what is that conclusion?" He asked, his focus still on his computer screen.

"I'm going to get along with Santiago."

His eyebrows shot up and he looked over at me, a small grin on his face. "And when did this come up, may I ask?"

I shrugged, walking around the side of the couch to plop down beside him. "I don't know. I just know that if you're going to be around him, I have to learn to get along with him."

He smiled. "Well I'm proud of you. That's a big thing to do."

"Yep," I said, earning a kiss on the cheek from him.

"So, what's your first move in being his friend?"

I puckered out my lips. "I was thinking about inviting him to the dinner that we're having for Landon."

"I bet he'll really enjoy a dinner with people half his age," he muttered.

"Well," I said, "I'm trying."

"I know, I know," he said, "and I'm proud of you."

"And plus," I said, "you'll be there to talk business with him. It won't be that bad."

He nodded. "Hey, I'm against nothing with Santiago. You know all I want is to be on his good side."

I smiled, pressing a kiss to his bicep. "I know. Hey, what are you working on? You've been glued to your laptop for hours."

He cleared his throat. "I've been trying to find the perfect words to put into an email to the employees at the animal sanctuary," he said, sighing, "that cheetah that I've been raising since I was twenty is dying."

"Oh no," I said, pouting my bottom lip out.

He nodded. "Yeah. She's been really sick lately. We don't think she's going to make it."

I wrapped my arms around him. "I'm so sorry, babe, I know how much you've loved her."

He sighed, nodding. "I remember making trips over here just to see her."

I smiled. "I remember that, too. I would have to go without you for weeks!"

He grinned. "She's always been my number one girl."

"I'm offended," I said, smiling over at him.

He smiled and wrapped an arm around my waist. "I'm just kidding, you know you're my number one girl and won't ever stop being my number one girl."

I pressed a kiss to his cheek. "I know I am, I better be."

He stood up and placed his laptop on the coffee table, walking into the kitchen. "Coffee?"

"No, thanks," I said, "I have to go to work soon. John wanted me in after lunch instead of right when he opened up. Not sure why, but I'm fine with it."

He nodded. "So you're enjoying yourself?"

"Oh, yeah, absolutely," I said, nodding as I stood up, "I get to work on helping him, and I also get to work on my stuff also. Like my poetry."

He looked up at me as he poured his coffee. "Speaking of, have you found your inspiration for writing your poetry yet?"

I pursed my lips together. "I think it's coming back, slowly but surely."

"That's good, babe," he said, pulling his cup up to his lips.

"I'm going to get ready for work, okay?"

He smiled and nodded. "Okay."

I jogged upstairs and into my closet, pulling out some trousers and a bodysuit, throwing a peacoat in with it. I slipped out of my other clothes and threw my more professional outfit on, smiling at myself in my mirror.

I pulled my hair out of the ponytail it was in, watching as it fell halfway down my back. I applied minimal makeup and was done getting ready. I finally slipped into a pair of heels and was actually done.

"Hey, I'm out, okay?" I said as I jogged downstairs. Derek just smiled up at me.

"You look beautiful. Be careful, okay?"

I smiled and pressed a chaste kiss to his lips. "Okay."

I grabbed my keys and walked outside, closing the door behind me. I sashayed over to my car, hugging my coat tighter to me.

I opened my car door and slid inside, slipping my key in the ignition.

The drive to John's building wasn't far at all so I made it there fairly quickly. I opened the door and saw him sitting at his desk, his feet on the surface of his desk with his tablet on his legs.

I smiled and shrugged out of my jacket. "Good afternoon."

He jumped and pulled out his headphones. "God, you scared me. Why are you here?"

I furrowed my brows together. "You told me to come in after lunch?"

"Oh, no," he said, "I texted you this morning and told you the weather was supposed to get bad, so you didn't have to worry about coming in."

"I never got that text," I said.

He pulled out his phone and scrolled through his messages, finally landing on mine. My eyebrows shot up and my lips pulled into a grin. Who all had he been texting since this morning?

He puckered his lips out. "I never hit the send button."

I giggled. "It's okay, John. I'll be going."

"Alright, have a good one," he sang, "stay warm!"

I slipped back into my coat and opened the door, bumping into someone the second I did.

"I am so sorry," I muttered, but froze when I noticed the bulky body that was clad in a suit.

I looked up and Santiago's eyebrow was cocked up at me.

"It's fine."

He shot me a smile before beginning to walk off.

"Hey, Santiago?"

He turned around, looking at me.

I sighed, cocking my head over to the side. "Could I invite you over for dinner?

His lips pulled into a smile. "I mean, you could."

I chuckled, taking a few steps towards him. "It's just a casual thing."

"Well, who all is going to be there?"

"Me, Derek, a few of our friends," I said.

"A dinner with some kids half my age?" He asked, an amused look on his face.

"Hey, we're not kids anymore," I said, grinning up at him.

He sighed, nodding. "Yeah, you're right. But you're still half my age."

I giggled. "At least think about it?"

He inhaled, puckering his lips out. I took another step closer to him, an eyebrow cocked up. "Please?"

He eventually looked down at me, nodding. "Okay, I'll think about it."

I smiled. "Okay. It's at my place on Monday if you do want to come."

He nodded. "I'll keep that in mind. I'll see you around?"

"That you will," I said, biting down on my bottom lip as he walked away from me.

~*~

Santiago

The boys walked inside and shrugged out of their jackets, throwing their backpacks on the floor.

"Dad, I'm getting a snack," Freddy yelled, digging in the pantry.

"I'm right here," I said, shrugging out of my jacket, "how were your days?"

"Good," they answered at the same time. They were now both in the pantry digging for something to eat.

"Does mom not keep good snacks?" I asked, chuckling.

"No," Freddy abruptly answered, "all she has is healthy stuff."

"Yeah, I'm not in the market for that," Josiah muttered, pulling out a brownie.

I chuckled. "Well, you do kinda have to eat healthy to stay healthy in the slightest."

"I'll keep that in mind," Freddy said, smiling over at me.

I shook my head. "What do you guys want for dinner?"

"Let's have a guys night," Josiah suggested, "like, eating ribs and hot dogs. You know, how guys are pigs?"

I just looked over at him with an eyebrow cocked up.

"We never have guys nights with Mom."

"Well, she's not a guy, so that's understandable."

Josiah plopped down at the table.

"How's your eye?" I asked.

He nodded. "It's fine. I mean, it's still a little swollen. But I'm fine."

"That's my boy," I said, rubbing the top of his head, "and you, Fred?"

"I'm good," he said, "I'm not really hurting anymore."

"Good deal."

"Hey, dad," Freddy said, "we have to stay until five on Monday. We have baseball."

"Mom might have to pick you up from that," I said.

"Why?" They asked, furrowed brows.

I looked over at them. "Well, Adora invited me to dinner."

"Ooh, is it a date?" Josiah asked, taking a bite of his brownie.

"No, it's not a date," I said, "her fiancé is going to be there."

"Are you jealous of him?" Josiah asked.

I looked over at him, a dumbfounded look on my face.

"You should've known the answer to that," Freddy mumbled.

"Sorry," Josiah said, shooting me a grin, "well, I'm jealous of him."

"Why are you jealous of him?" I asked.

"Same reason you are," he said, "because he has Addy."

"Funny."

"Not funny, I was being serious."

"Well, no one's jealous of anyone."

"Except you."

"Let's get off the jealous topic," I said, shooting them glares, "plus, I don't even know if I'm going or not. I told her I'd think about it."

"Why didn't you just say yes?" Freddy asked.

"Because I'm not sure I want to go."

"Because her fiancé is going to be there," Josiah said.

"Okay, really, I love when you two play inspector gadget, but not on me."

They both laughed.

"Come on, dad," Freddy said, "we think you should go."

"So you can really intimidate her fiancé!" Josiah exclaimed.

"I'm not going to intimidate anybody."

"Yeah, right," Freddy said, "you intimidate everyone."

"That's true," Josiah said.

"Okay, that's enough," I said, "if we're having a guys night, we're all going to change into sweatpants and a t-shirt."

"Deal!"

The boys jumped up and I smiled as they ran into their rooms.

I pulled my phone out, unlocking it before scrolling to Adora's contact.

[To: Adora Franklin]
Hey, what's your address?

~*~

hiii guys 😚😚

I bet you enjoyed this chapter! I was so stoked to write this.

SANTY AND ADORA TALKED wow

and adora wasn't bitchy to him

ahaha. How are we feeling about the characters rn??

U GUYS - follow my twitter to keep up with my rambles, with my updates, with my daily life, with wattpad EVERYTHING, just follow it :)

^ also the one shot contest winners will be posted on there about a day before on here! so keep an eye out. :)

ookkkk!