Part 1 - Welcome to the game - Chapter 1

[Xavier's View]

        I walked out the front door and sighed, taking in the humid air. 'Gods... why is autumn so damn humid,' I thought walking down the street. The wind was still and I wished I could get a breeze. I walked down to the bus stop and everyone turned their head towards me. I felt uncomfortable but then again, I was pretty used to it by now and I didn't have the time to care.

        "Oh my god look, it's two eyes!" Someone snickered as I walked past. I kept myself from throwing a curve to their face. I sighed and slid my bag off my shoulder and sat down by the light post. I pulled out my phone and noticed I had messages from a friend. I quickly read over it but had no time to reply when someone's bag came hurling at my face. I rolled out of the way and hit my knee on a rock.

        "Sorry two eyes!" someone yelled and I tried to keep cool. I couldn't wait anymore for the blasted bus. I got up and picked up my bag. I didn't see the bus so I began walking to school. I opened up my messenger app and got on the phone with my friend.

        "Hello?" He called, his voice scratchy.

        "Hey," I replied.

        "What's up dude?" He asked

        "Nothin... walking to school today," I explained, kicking a stone.

        "Oh cool, I am too," he laughed.

        "Hey Oliver, can I ask ya somethin?" I asked.

        "Sure, ask away," He replied cheerfully.

        "If someone makes fun of you for having two different coloured eyes... how would you react?" I asked.

        "Well... that depends on what they're saying. Honestly I think having two different coloured eyes is amazing!" He explained, laughing.

       "You, you think so?" I mumbled, rather stunned.

       "Well yeah! I mean two coloured eyes would be pretty sick if you ask me," He cheered. I turned around the corner and came up the hill to the school.

       "Well I gotta go, I'm on school grounds now," He sighed.

       "I am too," I replied. We hung up the call and I walked up the path to the common area. I sat down, on my phone and began playing a game while messaging Oliver. The bell rang and I sighed, putting my phone away and set it to silent. I grabbed my bag and walked inside. The hallways weren't as crowded today which was odd but I didn't really care. I went upstairs to my locker and quickly put in the code. A slip of paper fell out and I was just about ready to knock someone's head off. I unfolded the paper and read over it.

       You're just a freak trying to be special! Everyone knows it's just contacts!

        I crumpled it up and shoved it into my bag. I opened my locker and put away my bag, my hoodie, then crammed in my textbook. I grabbed out the stuff for my first class and bolted down the hallway. I turned down the stairs then took a left into the history room. I sat down in the back and pulled out a piece of paper to scribble on. The teacher came in as the announcements began to blare. I didn't pay much attention to them. The pledge came on and I stood silently reciting it in my head.

        The teacher began the class and it felt like a blur of noise and colour. We took notes, did an activity worksheet or something then the bell rang for homeroom. I got up and headed down the hall. I was tripped twice, given threats, and nearly stabbed a kid with a pencil. I got to homeroom and took a seat as the teacher called attendance. I sat down and began scribbling again. A chunk of paper was launched at the back of my head but I just crumpled a sheet in my hand to stop myself. Homeroom ended and I went to science. I sat down and the teacher gave me a glare like I had never seen.