Chapter 3

Our team got off to a rough start and that's putting it lightly. Loki was offended that she wasn't the leader and tried to blackmail me into letting her open the box. Rose meanwhile was still furious that we had to even be in the same park as the Blondateers let alone competing in the same game. And I couldn't seem to get either of them to listen to me no matter what I said or did. Some team leader I was turning out to be.

"... It's just not fair! I'm always the leader." Loki complained.

"Did you see the smirk on her face?! Absolutely infuriating!" Rose was snarling.

"Guys, just listen!" I pleaded, watching as the Blondateers flounced off, having already successfully opened the tin and started the challenge. Watching Mary swish off with her blonde bimbo friends, already on their way to winning the game.... it made my blood boil. 

"... I hate that Patricia just can't see that I obviously should be the leader for this event. Honestly! I have the most contact with the outside world, I'm the best at solving riddles, and team work guys! Seriously. I should be the leader..." Loki was saying, trying to talk over Rose who was already pretty much yelling.

"... If I had a penny for all the times Eva glared at me I would be a millionaire! I mean, I haven't done anything! I only hate them because they hoodwinked Patricia and..." Rose was yelling even though I wasn't quite sure at whom she was yelling to.

I turned to Patricia helplessly and then realized that she was wearing exactly the same outfit that the Blondateers had been wearing. And that was the last straw...  

"SHUT UP!" I yelled so loudly that all the birds in the nearby trees flew frantically away. I was panting heavily and I was glaring so hard that my face actually hurt. Except that letting go of all of my anger and hurt in two words like that... it made me feel a lot better. Loki and Rose were both staring at me, their eyes wide and their mouths hanging open. I had never raised my voice like that at them in my entire life. Suddenly I was feeling peculiarly satisfied.

"You should be ashamed of yourselves." I snapped angrily "We have been faced with a challenge that can prove once and for all that we're better than the Blondateers and what are you doing? Arguing among yourselves. This is a chance to have some fun and get Patricia back. Don't you see? This is our chance! So stop fighting and help me defeat the Blondateers once and for all." 

I looked at Loki and then at Rose and they both nodded at me, a new look of determination shining in their eyes. There also something else there that I hadn't seen in a long time. Respect. Usually Loki just took control of everything and we didn't fight her about it but never had they looked at me as if they truly believed that I was their leader. It made me feel happy.

"That's why she's the leader." Rose whispered to Loki. For once Loki didn't even argue. I smiled and then looked at the tin box in my hand, noticing that it was identical to the first one we had gotten, right down to the golden "one" that shone on the lid. I cracked it open and pulled out the cards, surprised to find four in it this time that were labeled challenges 1, 2, 3, and 4. 

"You guys ready?" I asked after selecting the first challenge card and they both nodded once again "Okay, here we go."

I turned the card over in my hands - surprised to find that it felt soft in my hand - and then began to read...

Stage 1: Challenge #1

~~~ First team challenge ~~~

TRUTH or DARE

Truth = Tell the other team your deepest and darkest secret. Liars are immediately disqualified and the secret must be hard to retell in some way. Scoring of points will be done by Patricia. Cheating in any form leads to disqualification.