"Wasn't a smart move, coming back here again," the man said and sighed, wiping Nick's blood from his hand. His expression seemed relaxed and satisfied, high on the violence and adrenaline. And possibly on some other stuff as well.

"Then again, turning on us all those nights ago," he paused to ponder, then chuckled, shaking his head as in disbelief. "And all because of a girl." Nick's jaw twitched at that and he turned away from him. "That wasn't very smart of you, either. You really should have stayed away." He towered over Nick, a snarl twisting its way into his scarred face. Nick laughed darkly, no sign of humor caught in the sound.

"And miss the chance to see you again? I could never." Nick grinned at him, remains of fresh blood staining some of his teeth. The man's snarling smirk dropped into an angry growl, his top lip quivering as he got dangerously close. Nick didn't flinch. "You know, there's something different about you, Terrence," Terrence. He knew his name. "But I just can't put my finger on it."

"Trust me kid, the scars you left here, I'll double on your-"

"-Ah, right, it's the scars. How could I forget?" Nick interrupted with a grin as if suddenly remembering. Terrence had had enough and he yanked Nick from the collar of his shirt. One of the other guys who wore a blue cap spoke up.

"Easy, Ter! Remember what Red said." He urged, a strange concern in his voice. Terrence didn't let Nick go.

"If Red didn't want you alive, I'd kill you right here." He growled, making the marks on his face appear deadlier.

"You really shouldn't frown, Ter. Brings out the scars." Terrence jabbed Nick in the stomach sharply, Nick let out a groan and doubled over. I flinched back and shut my eyes as my mind scrambled. My heart was pulsing in my throat, and my heart got heavier with each blow I could hear landing on Nick. I couldn't let him get hurt like this. I had to do something. This was all my fault.

"I know the girl came with you. And I know you're protecting her. Why don't you bring her out here? I promise we'll show her a good time." Terrence got menacingly close to Nick's face, a sick smirk on his face. Nick didn't respond, instead, his jaw tensed and his eyes narrowed. I could tell Terrence was enjoying teasing him, poking at him until he finally reacted. "I decided I'm going to let you breathe long enough for you to see me grab her, hold her down and-" Nick bashed his head into Terrence's forehead, making Terrence scream in agony and a powerful smash echo through the alley. Terrence pressed a hand to his forehead in sheer surprise as blood dripped down his face.

Now it was Nick who was scowling; deadly, vicious eyes holding Terrence's gaze. The rest of the guys stood still as Terrence laughed darkly and shook his head. He gave one of the other guys a quick nod, and the man who was holding Nick back was joined by another. He got a hold of Nick's hair and yanked it back so that he faced the open sky. Nick let out a growl, Terrence got closer as he spoke: "I used to admire your fearlessness, you know kid? But now... now I know you're just plain stupid. And all this for a girl. What a shame."

Terrence balled his hands into fists and landed a strong uppercut from below Nick's uncovered jaw, followed by another punch into the side of Nick's neck. Nick gagged and writhed back in pain.

My pulse throbbed and my hand was shaking when I remembered I had my phone with me. Dark spots threatening to drown out my vision, I grabbed my phone and clicked on the screen, ready to call for help. No battery. I had to do something, anything. Terrence wasn't going to wait for his boss anymore. He was going to kill him.

Despite the rest of the guys shouting at Terrence to let him go because of Red, he ignored them, landing punch after punch on Nick. Another one into the side of his face, his stomach. He doubled over, unable to withstand the pain, and dropped to his knees all the while the other two guys kept holding him back, emotionless.

Nick was struggling to find air, to recover. I could already see the cuts on his face, the sweat dripping from his hair. His eyes, defeated and wounded, staring into the ground. That was it. I couldn't take that anymore. Seeing him in agony like that, it provoked a reaction in my body. The look on his eyes was what made me able to stand up on my two shaking feet.

Terrence was about to throw another deadly punch, and I just couldn't let that happen again. "No!" Someone shouted as I struggled forwards, out of the darkness and dropped my fear-filled body right in front of Nick. It only took me a split second to realize I was the one who had screamed. And the beady, diabolical eyes that stared back at me in confusion turned even darker with amusement, his lips playing into a grin. My insides twisted, nothing seemed real anymore.

But the thing that made me most afraid was when I turned to look at Nick, bloody and bruised on his knees, and the look of pure fear and misery in his eyes as he stared at me just inches in front of him. "Sammi... no." He barely croaked out and shook his head. It was fear and agony for me.

"Sammi, is it?" A terrifying voice spoke up next to my ear. It sent shivers through my body, I could just stare straight ahead while my mind went into complete panic and my grip on reality faded.

Terrence grabbed my hair and I yelped as he yanked me backward right next to his ear, his grin had faded. Nick struggled to get out of the men's grip on him as he shouted my name, but they only pinned him down harder. The next words Terrence said made fear engulf my entire conscience and my heart stop. "Now, where did we leave off?"