Chapter XVI

Reyna

From outside, Thor ripped an opening in the plastic wall of the structure. He stood there -- soaking, bleeding, caked with wet earth gazing at Mjölnir resting just a few yards before him, energy surging around it.

Coulson and I stepped into the structure through an access tunnel, one story up. As Thor approached his hammer, Mjölnir started to glow brighter, blue electricity sparking off its surface. The crackling energy seemed to reach out to him. And I could feel that Phil's interest piqued. I looked above the open ceiling of the structure and my S.O. crane bucket came into view rifle locked on the back of Thor's head. I tried not to panic.

Thor reached out confidently towards his hammer not noticing the armed agents positioning themselves behind him. Coulson motioned them to hold their positions and then he radioed Clint. "Barton..." I saw Clint in the bucket standing ready and I held my breath. Even though Coulson just swore to me that he won't kill the god, I don't trust him like Percy or Clint or Natasha do. Phil gave me a sideways glance. I tensed. "...hold your fire." I sighed in relief when Clint pulled up.

  Coulson and I watched Thor with anticipation as he wrapped his hand around the hammer. He smiled, triumphant, lifted... but the hammer didn't move. Why didn't it move? Thor looked confused, and tried again with two hands, but to no avail. Anger and frustration overtook him. He strained with all his might, screamed from the effort, bellowing up at the storm and lightning above him. Something began to appear on the side of Mjölnir -- glowing runes. Thor looked down, and saw them. But, still, the hammer didn't budge. Thor fell to his knees before it, rain pouring down around him, as the glowing runes faded away. The look on his face reminded me of a broken man. Someone who lost everything and when found a golden opportunity, it failed him.

  Coulson looked on, disappointed. Shield agents moved in, guns trained on Thor, surrounding him. Coulson activated his radio. "Ground units, move in. Show's over."

As the Agents surround him, Thor didn't seem to notice or care. He just sat there on his knees, head bowed in the pouring rain -- a man broken, lost. What happened? According to my dreams, he still had hope to regain his honor. But what was Odin's words? 'Whoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.'

Thor wasn't worthy, he defied the Allfather orders and almost unleashed war. That was his crime, and he was banished. And he was lucky he was banished, because in the Legion, if he defied the orders of his superiors, he'd be killed because of his insubordination didn't have a valid explanation and caused trouble. Thor got lucky because he was Odin's son, and after my research, I found out that Odin is the god of wisdom. So he's no dickhead. That's a relief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Phil's interrogation with Thor, not like he needed it since he knew almost everything about the man, I sneaked up to the door using Hermes' blessing and grabbed Phil's arm. He almost hit me but I put a finger to my lips and motioned to him to keep silent and listen.

"I thought he'd never leave." If it weren't for Coulson's training we'd obviously be found out. Where did the man come from. He seemed familiar but I can't remember whom. Maybe in the dreams... But which one?

"Loki? What are you doing here?"

"I had to see you." replied the now named Loki.

"What's happened? Tell me! Is it Jotunheim? Let me explain to Father..."

"Father is dead." Lie

A beat. "What?"

"Your banishment, the threat of a new war, it was too much for him to bear." Half-lie.