I was about to get up when I turned to see Ruen's face. She was smiling at me differently. That same smile that I hated before - sad and resigned; as if people reacted the way she expected and it disappointed her.

She took a grape from the fruit bowl trying to appear nonchalant.

I'm no longer 'the third party' and I'm legitimately married to her.

Straight or not, I can hold her and no one can tell me not to because the dried seal on that marriage certificate says she's mine!

Screw everyone else!

I laid my head back down on her lap. Surprised, she stopped eating but her lips slowly moved to form a genuine smile.

Yeah, that's my girl.

Wha-? My girl?

Somebody, I think Rachel, cleared her throat.

"How was the first day of the shoot?" She took a sip from her wine.

"It was great!" I wriggled to lie on my side facing everyone. "Things are still slow for me but everyone's been accommodating and I like the script."

"Who are you playing this time?" Miranda gently twirled her glass between her fingers.

"Kristina Fray." I found myself relaxing under Ruen's fingers running through my hair. "She's a new resident heart surgeon."

Forgetting the presence of everyone else, I purred in satisfaction.

My gosh, what is happening to me?
I don't purr!

Ruen, running her hand through my hair while the other runs slow circles on my pant leg, elicited another purr from me as I leaned into her touch.

Ok, I take that back.

Because, obviously, now I do.

Do I blame the wine for this too?

* * *

RUEN

Unbelievable! She's enjoying laying on my lap!

Ignoring John's playful jab, Amelia surprised me when she laid back down instead of sitting properly.

"She's great at it," John added proudly. "It's like she was born to be a doctor. Like she's not even acting and everyone wouldn't be surprised if she started waving a medical license off-screen."

"That's Lia for you. She could've been anything she wanted. Being a doctor would be no hardship, I tell you. But she chose to be an actress." Tessa joined us in the living room.

"Why so?" I asked the older woman.

"She told me 'why stick to one profession when she could be anything all at once.'" Tessa sat on the armchair Rachel vacated.

Rachel sat on the arm of the chair as Tessa sat mumbling in thanks.

"As an actress, I could be a doctor, an engineer, CEO, detective, a pilot..." She wiggled her brows. "I could even save the world in a two-piece suit that they call a superhero costume."

Everyone laughed.

You are amazing, woman!

"But don't let my acting fool you." She raised her hand and reached for mine that was on her thigh. "I was internally bleeding as I spoke my lines. The medical jargon was nearly impossible!"

"But you played magnificently all the same." Rachel said.

"So far, what have you learned in your stint as a heart surgeon?" Mim asked.

"I learned that people can literally die of a broken heart." Amelia held on tightly to my hand on her thigh stopping my motion.

I know.

Maybe I almost did.

"Really?" Rachel said through a sip on her glass. "It's called a heart attack, Lia."

"One should not be mistaken for the other. Broken heart syndrome can occur suddenly after the extreme stress and there are no indications of prior heart issues in patients." Amelia explained.

"As if the heart has suddenly broke down and stopped," Mim said, looking at me. "Maybe it's not just stress. Stupidity can be a factor too."

Yes, I was stupid.

I knew it was aimed at me.

"Not knowing when to stop and not to compromise their own health." She added cuttingly. "Avoid harmful things, or people, for that matter."

Avoid people?

Mim admonishingly looked at me.

She knew I met and talked to Pin again...

Tessa must have mentioned it in passing!

"Definitely," I said, meeting her eyes. "And I think you've had a glass of wine too many too, Mim. Time to stop."

Mim was about to retort when Amelia spoke. "Yes, let's call it a night, guys." She fake yawned, sensing the brewing argument between Mim and I. "I'm bushed."

With that, everyone said their goodbyes and left. We didn't even see them out the door as Amelia kept her head on my lap. She claimed she was too tired to move so they should lock up after they left.

Saved by Amelia.

By the looks of it, Mim was too pissed. It was a miracle she didn't explode at dinner.

We stayed there in silence for a while until she broke it by requesting I feed her a grape.

I took one but didn't readily feed it to her. I moved it close but never close enough for her to reach. To tease her, I put the grapefruit in between my teeth daring her to retrieve it before I chomp on it.

Her brow raised but dropped in defeat.

My internal laughter died when she put her hand around my neck as she pulled me down close to her raised head.

It was just seconds later when I felt her teeth latch on the fruit and ate it.

What the fu-

"That was close!" I gulped and wet my lips.

"Apparently not," Amelia said, her face hovered inches away from me before crashing her lips to mine.

I moaned half in surprise and part pleasure as our lips met. I put my hand on her back to help support her up.

"Sleep with me tonight." She breathlessly said as we broke our kiss.

"Are you sure?" I asked her.

"I don't know for sure. I know it's too much to ask but..." She put her hand on my heart. "Until then, can I have you?"

Entranced, I can only nod and allow her to pull me upstairs through the hallway and into her room.

I don't know what this is but I'm willing to take a chance.

Until she clearly knows how she feels...

I'm sorry Mim. Looks like I am on my way to suffer yet another broken heart.