Chapter 4

POV Ryker

She was strange. She had gleam in her eyes buyt it had clearly been put out a while ago. Not completely though it seemed.

I watched as I walked her to the hospital as she looked around for a short second before quickly looked forward but still surveying her surroundings secretly.

I walked over to the front desk and luckily since many men get hurt on the job we have a special place that we put our people.

"Agent Ryker I need to sign a person in," I told the lady. She nodded and walked around and grabbed a wheel chair for her to sit in after taking a good long look at her.

"Sit here sweetheart," she told the girl who's name I was still not sure of.

"No," she said bluntly.

"Well if I was asking a question I would have appreciated that answer, so get in," she said sternly but more in a mothering way than a threatening way.

She stared at her for a good minute before hesitatingly sitting watching both of us at the same time like it was a trick.

The nurse went behind her to push her but the girl quickly stood up and whipped around.

"Oh I wasn't going to hurt you darling just going to push you to a room," the nurse explained.

The nurse knew something was different with her but like me we assumed it had something to do with her abused straight and the person that did it to her.

She sat back down even more tense then before.

We began are journey to our wing of the hospital. She stared at everyone passing by us and seemed to size them up.

I watched her curiously from the corner of my eye.

She had dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. She was thin but had muscles covering her body. But also scars. Not self made but definitely man made.

We made it to a room and a doctor that worked with me multiple times was already waiting for us in there.

"And who is?" The Doctor reaches out to shake her hand but she just stared at it. "Well never mind I guess," he said awkwardly putting his hand down.

"What happened to you?" He asked taking her in from head to toe. I watched as she cringed for a quick second.

I stared at her. The first emotion that came into her eyes since I'd seen her and it's fear, and I only saw it for a quick second.

"Well if you'd please lay down on the bed so we can do ex-rays?" He told her pointing to a hospital bed. He asked me and the nurse then to step out of the room.

5 minutes later they both stepped out of the room.

"She has no internal bleeding but has a fracture in one of her ribs and of course there is bruising and cuts and some scars," he explained to us.

"Does that mean she'll need surgery?" I asked him.

"No," he told me. "But these pills will help with pain and these will help for infections in cuts," he told me holding a bag out for me containing pill bottles.

"Ok, so is that all?" I asked him and he nodded in response.

Now what?

Where do I take her? Does she have a home? Family?

"Where do you live?" I asked her. I looked over at her as we got in a car.

"No where?" she said.

"Are you homeless?" I asked.

"I am now," she whispered looking down. 

"What do you mean?"

"I ran away from home and stayed with my boyfriend and if it wasn't clear we just broke up," she said looking me straight in the eye once again.

"Why did he beat you?" I asked. My hands on the wheel clenched tightly. Why would a man beat a women, I didn't understand. What was he trying to prove? It just makes him look like a coward that is afraid to hit a man cause he knows he'll lose.

"He's always been violent with me and he got mad cause I broke up with him so he did that." She no longer seemed effected about what just happened to her. I seemed more upset by it and it didn't even happen to me and I didn't even know her to boot.

"Why are you so calm about it?" I asked her. The question surprised her.

"Cause I'm just being strong," she told me no longer looking me in the eye rather at the road.

Well maybe you should take a break from being strong for a bit. It's not healthy." Her head shot over to me and stared at me with wide eyes for a minute before turning away.

"You don't know me," she whispered.