Chapter 3: Impromptu

Aa'eeda

My back straightened at the sound of the familiar deep rasping voice. "I'd like to take you up on that coffee. That is. . . if you're still offering." 

I turned and took in the full effect of -  -this unknown man. When he first approached my table he was nothing like the dirty pot-bellied balding man I imagined. 

The sight of him. The sight of him had me reduced to a silent mute. He was actually quite handsome, in a rugged way. . . and happened to have very nice hair. 

He took strides towards me and I was subject to the full effect of him. He's tall, with broad shoulders and the body of a man that made regular visits to the gym. He wore a navy blue jumper and a plain black tee shirt with the sleeves rolled up. The black boots finished his look. 

I smiled. "Sure, of course, " I said and put the remaining folders in my bag before settled back down into the booth seat.

I sat there staring at him, while he stared back at me. I took him in, my eyes hungry to know him- - all of him. All that chestnut skin was a real turn on and I took note of his arms which were covered in tattoos, like a sleeve. He had a goatee and his ears were pierced. I could see that he was taking me in as well. There was an intensity in them that was unnerving. 

"I never got your name," I reminded him and coughed to clear my throat. 

"Broderick Blackwood," he said plainly and stretched his hand out for mine. 

I put my hand in his and watched as he closed his fist around mine. His hand was clammy and slightly shaky as he squeezed mine firmly and sparks fizzed. A curious look flitted across his ruggedly handsome face as we both retracted our hands in shock.

"That's quite a name," I said nervously. 

The corner of his mouth lifted. "Yeah, it's German.  It means brother."

"Broderick," I said his name to myself trying it out. It was different and I decided I quite liked it. I met his gaze and found him smiling to himself. 

"Sounds nice when you say it," he asserted. "Although, I think Aa'eeda is far more interesting than Broderick. What does it mean?"

I laughed nervously and nipped at the paper placemat with my pinky finger. "It's Islamic. It means matters of faith."

"Like faith in things not seen?" He had this faraway look in his eyes as though he were recalling something. "It's beautiful, and it suits you."

Valerie approached our table before I could thank him for the compliment.  "What can I get you folks tonight?" She held her pen to the pad in her hand while she waited for our orders.

"Lady first," he said and motioned to me.

I came here often and absolutely adored their Morrocan Coffee blend so I ordered it. He ordered the same. When Valerie asked him how wanted his coffee he replied, "Black.  As black as it gets."

Valerie was of the paler complexion so the pun was lost on her. We shared a knowing laugh when she left to fill our orders.

"So tell me about yourself," he said stretching  his arms along the top of the booth chair. He was obviously getting comfortable."From your scrubs, I can see that you're in the medical field."

"I'm a midwife here in Atlanta," I told him.  "I specialize in high-risk pregnancies. I work with women in underprivileged communities and teach some of the younger girls as well."

"Is that why you had those papers out here on the table?" 

I laughed. "Actually yes. I have a session every Saturday and Sunday afternoon at the Bradford Community Center. It's a short class but a lot of women - - and men show up. I want to make sure they get all the right information."