12

The world settled in a haze, awoken by jolts as wheels dipped into fissures on the cobbled street. Voices. They were all muffled but deafening and your eyes glazed over, trying to gaze around but could not fix on anything but a bland green. The pain seething down your leg did not assist in any shape or form.

You suspected you were on a carriage, tucked away under green fabric but before you could comprehend the fact, the carriage jerked. Making your head bounce on the rough surface you rested on. It knocked you out instantly, your delirious state unable to cope.

For a while, black was the only thing visible. It shrouded everything and you couldn't even see your own hands hovering over your face.

Until you noticed a light. It was faint, glowing but hopeful. Before you knew, you woke up again.

Like previously, you were under fabric but it was different this time: soft and white sheets bundling you up like a pastry. It was soothing and it made you realise you weren't in any pain what so ever. In spite of this, you still felt sore in places, specifically your leg, but nothing... was broken.

Sitting up, you registered where you were. A bedroom, with a simple interior and a window, the light breaking through had woken you up.

Suddenly the door opposite the bed creaked open and you yelped in surprise, instinctively burying yourself under the covers.

"Hey! Hey, please don't be afraid. I'm not going to hurt you." A soft female voice reassured you. Her voice was like honey and was pleasant to your ears, her positivity couldn't help your curiosity as you peaked over the fabrics borders.
It was the orange-haired woman, who adorned a sweet and gentle smile.

"That was pretty brave what you did back there." She mused and you furrowed your brow confused by what she meant. "You seem more afraid of us then what's outside the wall. Especially taking that fall like a champ. That's incredible for a little lady. What's your name?"

You pondered the question with your lips pressed into a tight line. Despite how kind the woman seemed to be, you couldn't trust her. Her words had intentions behind them, she was trying to reassure so you would talk.

Stubbornly, your eyes fluttered away from the woman, refusing to answer her question. An involuntary whimper rumbling in your throat.

"Not going to talk, huh? Understandable, you seem intelligent for your age and it would be unwise to trust a stranger..." The woman mused, tapping her lip with the digit of her finger. "Well, in that case, I'll tell you my name. I'm Petra, and I am a member of the wings of freedom. We protect humanity on the frontlines and after you were knocked out, we brought you here to rest. I deeply apologise for scaring you and asking so much of you... But, please, tell us your name so we can reunite you with your family."

You stared at Petra longingly, the urge arose in you to tell her your name. Perhaps thing would be easier if you did. Yet you didn't have a family to be reunited with. It wouldn't even matter.

At your prolonged silence, Petra sighed before nodding her head. "Alright, I understand you don't want to talk right now so I'll give you some space. Just know you can trust us. You can trust me...

Rest easy little one."

After visible reluctance, Petra disappeared through the door she came through, the evident click of a lock rang in your ears. Reflecting a few minutes, you finally pushed yourself off the bed, balance unstable at first before you walked gingerly to the window.