"I'm going to check something," it replies, without pausing.

"Huh..." you hear Anderson muse, "gonna check something."

Connor places the chair against the back wall, finding fairly easy access to the attic. It slides the panel to the side, then lifts itself up a bit. Connor turns back to you and motions for you to follow it. The two of you climb into the area above the house. The space is just as dilapidated as the rest of the house, and every surface is covered with dust, cobwebs, or both. Connor puts a finger to its lips. When it turns away, you can't help but roll your eyes.

Yes, I was planning on shouting and alerting the deviant of our arrival, you think to yourself.

Connor leads you around objects stacked haphazardly around the attic, watching carefully for any sign of movement. You follow it, a couple steps behind.

As the two of you begin to near the back of the attic, a form darts from behind a large dresser. Connor rounds the dresser, moving a rusty chair out of its way, and moves toward the back corner to confront it. Suddenly, an android jumps in front of Connor. Its LED glows a fearful red and it shifts apprehensively.

You stare at the beaten android. It's covered in blue blood and Ortiz's blood, and damage from previous attacks from its owner. Burn marks from cigarettes dot its arm, and dents from the bat and other blunt objects are scattered across its plastic surface. Glitches around different parts of it cause the simulated appearance of skin to disappear, revealing the android's true "skin". Its eyes fearfully dart between Connor and you.

"I was just defending myself..." it stammers. "He was gonna kill me..."

Connor's expression remains apathetic and unfeeling. You, however, let a hint of sympathy reach your face. The HK400's eyes turn to you, seeing that you seem to understand its pain.

"I'm begging you... Don't tell them."

"Connor, what the fuck is going on up there?" Anderson shouts from the floor below.

As Connor opens its mouth to speak, you rush forward to silence it. Unfortunately, you're too late as it says:

"It's here, Lieutenant!"

"Holy shit..." Anderson mutters as he leaves to get backup. "Chris, Ben, get your asses in here now."

You stare at Connor in annoyance and defeat as you hear hustling footsteps on the floor below, promptly moving toward the attic. The HK400 stares at Connor with betrayal, then sends a pleading look to you. You shake your head, showing that there's nothing you can do for it. The police burst into the attic, apprehending the android and dragging it away.

As the humans file out, the functioning androids are the last ones in the line. Before it can climb down, you grab Connor's arm and pull it back. It turns to you.

"You shouldn't have told them where it was, Connor" you say. "We could've used its trust to our advantage. I could've found out more about how it deviated."

"I'm sorry, [Y/N]," it replies, totally unaffected by your frustration, "but my function is to apprehend the deviants and bring them to justice. It could have escaped in the time it took for you to interrogate it."

Connor sees that this doesn't dissipate your annoyance, adding, "You may still have a chance to question it at the station. Do you have a ride?"

"No. I was driven here by a member of CyberLife. I'm supposed to accompany you and Lieutenant Anderson from now on."

"Come with me," Connor says, again gesturing for you to follow it. Still peeved, you do so, finding Anderson impatiently waiting by his car for Connor. As he spots you, his expression turns even more sour.

"The hell are you doing?" he asks as you approach the car, stepping in front of you.

"I've been instructed to accompany you, Lieutenant Anderson, as well as the RK800 prototype, Connor," you answer, stopping in front of him and gesturing to the two of them.

"No, no– The one's enough. I'm not dealing with another android," Anderson argues, shaking his head.

"I can't leave you or Connor," you insist. The "functioning android" thing isn't working with him. That much is clear. Instead, you decide to appear more relatable and sigh. "Lieutenant, I know that you don't want me here, but I don't have any say in it. I have a job to do, and it must be done parallel to yours. I'll stay out of your way as much as possible."

Anderson growls, turning away without another word and getting into the driver's seat of the car. You quietly get into the back, and Connor sits in the front passenger's seat next to Anderson. It's a silent ride to the police station.

Anderson is clearly furious with the fact that he's stuck with two androids. It's normal for some humans to hate androids. They believe that machines steal their jobs and will eventually rule them. However, Anderson is one of the best detectives that Detroit has, if not the best. He shouldn't feel threatened by your and Connor's presence. Is it possible that he experienced his own issues involving androids?– maybe even trauma regarding deviants.

Still, analyzing Anderson's psyche isn't your job. Connor is the one you need to be understanding. For a moment, you stare at the back of its head, watching it carefully. It sits perfectly still, probably still analyzing the evidence it's seen at the crime scene. It still appears to be functioning as an average android would. There's no sign of any deviancy or questioning its purpose.

This might be a challenge, you think.

I hope you liked this chapter of "TZ100". Thanks for reading. ~Blue