Chapter 9: The Fenrir-Baude

Start from the beginning

Clarinda, on the other hand, made him even more mystified. Usually, he was the one in command of situations—especially back at the Krak where he'd clearly defined roles in both the spiritual and military hierarchies—but the Venetian girl made him feel tongue-tied and awkward, and he had to consciously try not to stare at her. He'd momentarily felt hurt when she hadn't hugged him at their reunion in the Niflheimian forest, and then he'd flushed in relief and excitement when she'd explained about protecting a cloak that wasn't hers. Then, with a closeness that he'd thoroughly enjoyed, she'd spent the next three hours clutching him tightly as they rode upon Fenris's back.

Whenever she was near, he felt anything but normal, and he found himself getting irritated every time he caught himself responding to her in that way. He didn't dare believe she might feel a similar attraction—the same kind of heartache being returned in equal measure.

So, he sat alone in the corner of the hot springs cavern, intentionally keeping his gaze averted from the two naked women at the nearby pool. Grateful for the privacy afforded by a dense group of stalagmites, Aurelius sank into the steaming waters and focused on the waterfall spilling into it, willing himself to forget everything for a while and try to wash the soreness from his weary body.

While relaxing in the heat and gazing at the bubbles rising the spring, his eyes lost focus and the Sight came upon him, layering his vision with views of different places and times.

A flood of images cascaded into his mind. Through a haze of heat, he stood with Jeremiah and Khalil near the pool of an oasis, all three fighting a creature of shadow with fire pouring from its eyes and maw. What was old Jeremiah doing with a sword outside the Krak's library, and why was Khalil with him? Aurelius winced as the beast's paw swept into the older scholar, and then another vision was upon him.

The film on one soapy bubble oozed into a scene of him kneeling at the end of a pier in Venice, trying to unchain an older version of his friend Nicolo; the youth had been beaten and strapped to a pier—through a gull-plucked, ruined face Nicolo whispered something to him, but the waterfalls in the cavern behind him prevented his hearing. Oh, Nicolo, how could this happen? What happened to you since I last saw you and Alexius? Then the bubble popped, and Aurelius stood in the scriptorium of the Krak, speaking with Evermar of Choques while trying to maintain a grip on an ugly broadsword that writhed like a thing alive in his hand.

Another bubble rose, and the Hospitaller saw himself in Niflheim again, about to climb a cliff of impossible height and reaching down a stone stair to help a woman ... who was neither Clarinda nor Skade! The woman's features were breathtaking, visible even through the pain that she seemed to bear as she took Aurelius's hand.

In another floating bubble appeared the image of him standing next to Pellion in the courtyard of Santa Maria di Corazzo, the Benedictine abbey where he'd trained as a boy. What was Pellion doing there, and why did Aurelius feel that his friend was about to do him some kind of harm?

He had one last glimpse of somewhere else; this time he stood in the hallway of a university, keeping out of sight of two men escorting a man in archbishop's robes to the grandiose wagon of a parchment merchant. Aurelius peered through the corridor window and made out the features of the four men, although the merchant on his seat remained in shadow. The identification of the quartet burst both bubbles and dream—what were his father, his brother Paolo, and Father Stefano doing together with Old Nick at some cathedral school?

The visions departed as quickly as they'd come. Shaken, he'd clambered from the hot spring, unable to explain any of the visions, but sickened by what each might portend.

Clarinda surprised him by waiting at the entrance to the upper halls of the house. Any conflicting thoughts vanished at the sight of her in fresh, dry garments with her hair slightly damp. She was simply the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. She and Skade were clad in chemises that flowed to their sandaled feet and simple thin wool tunics that did little to hide their curvy physiques. He noticed that the light blue color of Clarinda's top brought out the sea green of her eyes, and he found himself flushing again at her beauty.