Chapter 8: Reunion in Niflheim

A surprise awaited Clarinda in Mimir's Grotto. An old man and two wolves sat by the flaming pool and chatted with Mimir as if it were the most natural thing in the Nine Worlds for the Seer in charge of the Well of Destiny to entertain someone other than the Norns. Clarinda didn't know the old man, but immediately recognized the wolves as Geri and Freki because (along with Ratatosk and Vdofnir the Hen), the animals had been her companions since her first week in the Nine Worlds.

When Clarinda and the Norn descended to the level of the pool, the wolves rose, came forward, greeted her by name, and nuzzled her briefly against her legs.

Urd raised a questioning eyebrow at the familiarity. "Indeed?" was all she said, but with an inflection that bundled anger, disappointment, and even astonishment in its two syllables.

Clarinda didn't need any further prompting; she explained how the animals had started coming to her shortly after she'd moved into the grotto.

"All the animals?" Urd asked. "Even Ratatosk?"

"Especially Ratatosk," Clarinda admitted. "Actually, him, most often of all."

"Hiya, Urd!" the squirrel interrupted, hopping onto a flat length of granite that almost reached Mimir's floating head. The squirrel turned a withering look on Clarinda. "Thanks for keeping your promise and not telling the Norns about us, you little fille de bas."

"I can't be a bastard, Ratatosk," Clarinda said, affronted at the creature's language, "I know both my parents. What are you? I think the term probably might apply to your —"

"Clarinda, don't waste words with a glorified rat," Geri said, scowling at Ratatosk.

The squirrel changed tactics, looking upward at the elderly man, whose bearded face wore a slight smile.

"Do you see, Grimnir? Do you see what I have to put up with down here? Is it any wonder that I spend my very long-lived life running up and down a tree and playing with dragons and Hel-beasts? Would you stay down here for any time? The conditions are impossible. Let me tell you something, I was just in Hel, and she knows how to host a party—a festive atmosphere compared to these grim folk, lively banquet tables ..."

"Ratatosk!" Urd's said sharply. "What have you told her?" She swept her scarlet robes tightly around her and rose to her full height. "How many of the Gåtefull Runer?"

"None of those—I swear!" Ratatosk squealed, fear coming into his voice. The little animal ran behind the old man's weathered robes and peered at the group gathered at Mimir's shoreline. "I've been telling her stories about each of the Nine Worlds, mostly.'

"What are the 'Enigmatic Runes'?" Clarinda asked Urd.

"Sigils," the elderly stranger answered gruffly. He leaned on an enormous wooden spear and pointed to the runes etched on the surface. "Special signs—runes, like these—but, I think, in the case of the Norns, very different in what they do."

If I may. Mimir's said in a cold voice. This has all been well and good but I suggest that we turn to the matter at hand. Ratatosk, quit bothering the wolves, or perhaps go visit Nidhogg the Dragon. Clarinda, you'll be learning one of the Gåtefull Runer before this morning is over, so let's not worry overmuch about that. Urd, I knew of the Guardians visiting Clarinda, and think the friendship will be helpful in time to come. Now, Clarinda, allow me to introduce Grimnir, an old friend who's taken something of an interest in our attempts to help young Santini. He has some news to share: it seems that he had a visit with the Hospitaller shortly after the boy's arrival in Alfheim ...

Mimir's voice held the same patient tone he took when lecturing Clarinda about the history of the Nine Worlds, and the conversation turned to the immediate need to get Santini out of danger in Niflheim.