Finding Your Way

Începe de la început

"Of course you didn't, silly, us actors see things differently than other people. Like, Grace over there. What do you think about her?"

What was she asking? Like how hot she is because she's not, she's got more of a puppy kinda cute. I decided not to tell her that. "Um, she seems to have the talent to think quick on her feet but has stage fright."

"Why do you think that?"

"Because the way she holds herself on the desk. She acted confident but you can see she second guesses every move she makes."

"How would you fix that?"

"How am I supposed to know. I'm a football star, not an actor."

"That's what you think."

*That was the day that changed my life. After that day, I began to show up to more classes and I fell in love with being on stage. Suddenly football or my family issues, or any of my problems didn't matter. My life changed for the better. My football and cheerleading friends had other ideas though. Since I stopped football altogether (except for when I played with my family) they decided they are done with me. But I became great friends with my theater group. I asked Emma out on a date two months later and she said yes. We dated for the rest of high school until .....*

"That's amazing!" I pulled her into a tight hug, she held on tightly. "I don't understand why you're crying. You got into the college of your dream. What could be possibly wrong?"

"It's in London, Jackson."

"I know."

"Long distance relationships don't last. I just want to end on a good note and ...."

"Wait, are you breaking up with me?"

"Yes. Please don't hate me. I love you, Jackson, and that will never change." She pulled me into another hug.

I was shocked by this. We had planned to have our future together and now she's ending it? I hugged her back, "I love you too, Emma."

*I was heartbroken. I got no scholarships, I didn't feel like going to college. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I got a job at a local coffee shop where I met my three best friends.*

Another long shift left me exhausted. The day just dragged on and on, I dealt with every kind of customer there was today. Just as I handed off the customer's drink I felt someone began to massage my shoulders. I craned my neck back to see who it was, Ruth Bellers hummed a tune as she massaged my shoulders. "That feels amazing, Ruth."

"Jackson, I know."

"Wow, okay, humble much."

"I was with you all day, I know what you need. But, Jackson, that's not why I'm here. There is a man sitting at that table who asked for you."

I knew that man, that was Emma's grandfather, Paul. Why did he want me? I made my way over to the table, Paul looked up at me and gestured for me to sit down. Once I had sat down and had gotten comfortable Paul began. "I'm retiring." Why was he telling me this? "Which means I'm downsizing. I have equality split out all of my extra property between my family but I saved this specialty for you." he slid a folder forward to me.

I didn't really understand what was going on, "Paul, Emma and I broke up five years ago. Why are you giving this to me?"

"Because I can see that you have what it takes to make this happen."