Chapter 9: Memories

They rode up to the camp to see all the other boys all sitting by a fire. Mark was the first to notice their arrival, he stood from the log he was sitting on and walked over. He helped (Y/n) down from her horses saddle and gave a smile.

     "Welcome to the family chica!" He exclaimed and tied her horse to the post. In the small amount of time that he greeted her, (Y/n) didn't notice that Ethan had tied his own horse as well. He gave her a smile and walked to the two other guys that sat by the fire laughing at jokes they had made.

     "Finally ye got here you gobshite! It was quiet without you here," Jack said to the man who stood in front of him.

     "I missed racin' your diseased ass down the mountain," Ethan joked back as Jack reached up and pulled Ethan into a arm hug, (Y/n) giggled at the boys joking humor before walking over with small strides. This wasn't gonna be as bad as she thought it would be. She was still a little nervous about what would happen to any of them because of her or what could happen to herself. Ethan on the way here had promised her that he would protect her at all cost as long as she was safe and beside him at all times, he is happy.

——————————

     "What is your name?" The Marshall asked the unknown fella who had walked into his office not long ago with the news that would change everything forever.

     "Gerald, but people call me G." He reached his hand out to shake the Marshall's large rough hand, he gladly took the gesture and shook Gerald's hand firmly before leaning back into his creaky uncomfortable seat.

     "Well G, do you know anywhere I might be able to get some inside information about this group of bandits?" Marshall smirked, Matt glanced over at his boss with a strange expression written all over his face.

     "But Marshall, sir? There has been no leaked information that could lead us right to them," the deputy spoke up, he did have a point. There has been no information about them that we lawmen know of. Marshall turned his head in unison with the deputy to see a laughing Gerald. Why was he laughing? He held his stomach as he laughed, the Marshall knitted his brows and leaned forward in his seat resting resting his arms along the desks dusty surface.

     "Then you are lookin' the wrong place for that kind of information. Go to a OLD member of the gang, he lives back in his hometown of Manzanita Post. He could tell ya everythin' you need to know and more, him and Ethan were close as kids." Gerald said letting his arms fall to his side. Marshall's brows softened and a smile appeared on his face, a mischievous one at that before becoming serious in just a matter of seconds.

     "What is his name?"

     "His name is Brian, he likes to gamble and drink so, best catch up to him in the bar. He is there at all times of the day, he knows more about them than anyone else. No one is better to give information willin'ly than he is trust me."

——————————

     The sun was fully down and all that could be seen was the stars in the night sky. (Y/n)walked through the grass towards Ethan's little bed where he resided. She gave him a smile seeing him look up from untying his boots, she took this as a motion to walk over, she walked carefully over. He pulled off his boot and sat it down, his glance caught back to the girl walking to him and a smile formed on his lips.

     "What brings a beautiful lady to me this fine evenin'?" He asked her, she rolled her eyes and giggled in response to his words. He always was like this even when we were younger. He was so dorky yet a strong man on the inside whether he realized it or not. He has changed since then and she was glad to see his old self reappearing in his eyes and in the words he spoke.

     "Oh I just wanted to check up on my little blue boy," (Y/n) said with a smiled and sat beside him on his small bed. He looked over at her in shock, he must have remembered the nickname from back when we were kids.

     "If you could... what color would you make everythin'?" A small version of (Y/n) asked Ethan, She looked around 5 and he was about 7.

    "I would want everythin' to be blue! My hair, clothes, my horse too!" Ethan exclaimed making the younger girl beside him laugh.

     "AHHH ETAN TURNED INTO A BLUE BOY!" She squealed and stood up, she started to run away from the little boy as he made all kinds of noises, like a human attempting to be a bear. She giggled as he chased after her, they were smiling from ear to ear with happiness and they seemed to be having fun until she ran into a taller figure, she fell back onto the ground, being small and fragile little child, her eyes welded up with tears. Ethan realized and ran to her but, stopped running to see his father was the one who stood in front of (Y/n).

     "Ethan! Time to go son, we have a lot of work to do!" His fathers voice boomed forcefully, he nodded hesitantly and helped his friend up to her feet. He hated to see her cry and didn't want to just leave her behind like this. He rubbed his thumb over her tears wiping them away. She watched as he gave her a contagious smile that caused a small smile just as bright as his back to him before he walked away following behind his father. He gave a quick glance back at her with a sad look, he mouthed words to her that she could not see because of the tears that were spilling down her face. They always took him from her and didn't care.

     "I can't believe you remembered that," Ethan said quietly to (Y/n) in surprise at the memory.

    "How could I forget, it was the first time you were taken away from me." She hung her head in sadness at the memory of all the times he was taken away from her from that point in the memory on.

    "Well they can't take me anymore because I won't let them," he gave me a reassuring smile and placed a passionate kiss on my lips. He pulled away slowly to say. "Not anymore..." I have him one final peck.

    "What did you even say to me back when your father came to get you? I remember seeing your mouth move but I didn't know what you were tryin' to say to me because my vision was too blurry to tell," she asked him curiously earning a small shrug from him. He didn't remember what he said.

    "I don't remember, if I did say something then I must have meant what I said, if I was saying somethin' to you after witnessin' that I would say 'it will be okay I promise you' or somethin' like that" Ethan replied, (Y/n) nodded slowly, she wished he remembered because she wanted to actually know what he wanted to say to her but couldn't say it loud enough for her to hear because of his father who was walking in front of him.

    But many questions still lingered in her head as he allowed her to lay down beside him in his small bed. She rolled onto her side trying to go to sleep but those questions wouldn't let her. Was he really telling the truth? Would they take him away again? People always find ways to do that and she doesn't want to lose him again. She rubbed her eyes and closed them softly as she kept attempting to fall asleep, this time she was successful and had a good sleep beside the love that left her all those years ago and now was back with her again.