O N E ~ "Got yourself into a pickle?"

Start from the beginning

Apart from the desperate-for-attention-outfits that every girl seems to wear, of course.

A sigh leaves my lips as I realise no-one's home.

Time for plan B.

••••

The smell of popcorn fills the air. Anticipation surrounds me. Yet all I do is sit and frown.

"You're insane, Skylar. And not like a good insane." My best friend Emma complains.

Emma has been with me since day one of UCLA. Since we bumped into each other in the canteen by both reaching out for the last cookie. You know what they say, share food and that bond is forever.

Yeah, no-one says that.

"Is there even a good form of insane?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

"Em, yes? Did you see Miley Cyrus twerking at the VMA's in 2013, that was all kinds of amazing." She laughs, when an evil glint suddenly appears in her eye.

"What?" I ask, following her line of sight.

My voice dies out as I realise what she's seen.

The football team trudges out onto the field, the crowd going wild. Axel leads the team, his whole posture oozing with confidence.

I'm just noticing him because I need to talk to him. Right?

I place my hands over my ears from the sound. Screaming girls surround me shouting things like,

'I'm here Axel.'

'I love you.'

And then whispering things like,

'I mean look at that ass.'

'Why is he playing football when he could be making a home run with me instead?'

The last one made me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Amazed by the amount of attention they're getting, I lean over to speak to Emma. "Jesus, they're just throwing a football." I need to shout in Emma's ear so that she can hear me over the noise.

She laughs at me and shakes her head. "It's more than that! It's school spirit, Skylar, c'mon."

I laugh at her upset face as she scowls at me, looking like a parent who's just received a call from the school complaining about their child.

So, as the child would do, I stay silent and agree with Emma.

It is only football after all.

••••

"He was open you dipshit. Ugh, I could play better than that." I shout to the field, acting as though the players could actually hear me.

Yes we were winning, The Bruins were six points up. But it was a close match and the other team could easily catch up.

But you know, it's just football.

I gasp as the ball flies through the air and lands in the hands of our Quarter Back.

Holy shit that was hot.