Chapter 18: Mindless Instinct

~ Shane's POV ~

I lay back on the beige couch in my dormitory, taking the final sips from the bottle of red wine that Zelda and I were "sharing". Zelda lay on top of me just a little further down, her head resting up high on my toned stomach. Her sea blue eyes were closed, making it hard to tell whether she was asleep by now or not, as the time according to the clocks around the CDC indicated that it was three minutes to midnight.

"You sleeping baby?" I asked her in hushed whispers, my voice occasionally slurring from the excessive amount of alcohol that not only I drank, but Zelda too.

"Mmmmm?" She moaned as I brought my hand up to her head and began to stroke it softly.

"Here, I'll drop you back off to your dorm and you can get some rest." I suggested, gently trying to move her into a sitting position, but she didn't want this and clung on to one side of my unbuttoned three quarter sleeved blue denim shirt, pulling me back down into our lying down position.

"Please, stay." She whispered, holding me down.

"Okay." I breathed, giving her a soft kiss on the forehead as my head began to spin from the alcohol. I decided that maybe it was better if neither of us went anywhere, as we'd probably just fall on top of each other if we even attempted to get up.

Just as Zelda began to drift off to sleep, rapid knocks on my door began to echo around the small room, the sound bouncing off the walls like a tennis ball impact on racquet and slithering into Zelda and I's ears.

"Fuck off." I slurred, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Shane, we need to talk." Said a voice now identifiable as being Lori's.

"Now is not the time, Lori." I groaned.

"When is it ever the time?" She hissed, cranking the handle of the door and swinging it open, revealing a sleeping Zelda curled up on me.

She gave me a stern look. I moaned as I nudged Zelda gently to tell her I needed to get up. I told her I'd be back, to which she simply nodded and went back off to sleep.

Lori lead me into the rec room where I had carried a concussed Zelda earlier today. She let me pass in through first, closing the door roughly behind her, a scowl painted across what I once saw as a beautiful face.

"It's about time we had a chat, don't you think?" She said, pursing her lips into a thin line.

"What about this time?" I asked, exasperated at having to face her, "is this about Rick? Is it about what we once were? Is it about us?"

"How can you treat me like this, Shane?"

"Please tell me you're joking." I huffed, "we had a fling for a bit, your husband came back from the dead and now I've found someone I think I love."

"So this is the end of the road for us? This is it?"

"Well what the fuck do you want Lori? We fucked a few times, then you got all pissy at me when Rick came back and fucked him, and now I'm with someone in a more serious relationship that you and I ever had."

"We don't have to end what we had, Shane," murmured Lori as she moved closer to me, pressing my back up against the wall next to the door, her breasts pushing up against my chest.

"I'm sorry, I can't." I whispered as I put my hand on her shoulder, gently pushing her back a little away from me, "we're done."

"No we ain't, Shane, no we ain't." She hushed, lifting her face up to my neck and planting kisses along my jaw line, "Rick don't gotta know, Zelda don't gotta know either."