Chapter 12

I looked over Will's shoulder to see Jace walking away, trying to hide the hurt on his face. We had been together for almost a year now and it was suddenly, unexpectedly over between us. He was already so hurt over the loss of our baby and now he had lost me. Guilt struck my heart.

     "What's your name, sweetheart?" Will's voice pulled me back to reality. My mate.

     "Amber," I said, softly.

     "When did you get here?" He gently stroked the side of my face.

     "September."

     "Right after I left. You're the Beta of Blue Moon's daughter."

     I nodded my head.

     "How about we take some food and go to my place and talk?" Will suggested.

     I nodded my head and he took my hand. He walked up to the small stage set up in front of the tree line.

     "Hello, everyone," he spoke into the microphone. A chorus of 'hellos' went up from the pack and everyone bowed their head slightly in respect. "You have no idea how good it is to be home again. I've missed seeing you all over the past months. I've been told Luke has taken good care of you all while I've been gone. A big round of applause for Luke for all his hard work," Will nodded to Luke and a thunder of applause broke out. I swear I saw Luke's cheeks turn pink. "Thank you all for the warm welcome back. This food looks wonderful and I can't wait to dig in. So enjoy today and if you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to come find me."

     We headed towards the food tables and loaded up our plates. Will whispered to Luke that we were leaving and he nodded his head in understanding, saying he would watch over the pack.

     A few members gave us their congratulations as we walked passed towards Will's house. He lived separate from the pack in his own small A-frame cabin. It has been dark the entire time I'd been here. It would be strange to see lights on, let alone go inside it.

     We walked across the lawn, past the pack house and down a small path towards the beautiful A-frame. Will pulled his keys out of his back pocket and unlocked the door. He flipped the lights on and the room was illuminated in a soft warm glow.

     Will stopped in the doorway and chuckled. I looked at him questioningly and a smile spread on his face. "I told Rose before I left to leave the house be and I would take care of it when I came home. But it appears that she took matters into her own hands and scrubbed the place," he said. I looked around and realized there was not a speck of dust on anything and a fresh pine scent lingered in the air. "And she left me a surprise," he said, pointing to the kitchen counter. Sure enough, there was a plate of fresh baked cookies. I laughed and shook my head. Rose has to be the sweetest woman alive.

     We settled down onto the couch and Will pulled his coffee table closer for us to use as a makeshift dinner table to put our plates on. He flipped the TV on at a low volume and turned to face me.

     "So, Amber, how have you liked living in the pack so far? Has everyone been nice to you?" He asked as he placed pickles on his burger.

     "It's been good so far. Everyone has been wonderful," I said, taking a bite of mac and cheese. I smiled at the cheesy goodness. Sophia sure knew how to make it perfect. "How was your trip?"

     "Long. The rouges were tough at first, but we wore them down quickly because their numbers were so few. The pack I went to wasn't as bad. They were struggling after their Alpha died with no heirs. The Beta took the reins and he had a few challenges at first. But once everyone saw how well he managed things, they backed off. They're in good hands." He wiped his hands on his napkin. "What all have you been up to? What have you seen of the territory?"

     "Um, well, I think I've seen almost all of the territory except for the southeastern side. The lake is probably my favorite place."

     "Ah, that wouldn't have anything to do with putting someone in their place there would it?"

     I laughed out loud at the memory of Zach's face after our 'incident.' "So I guess you heard about that one, huh?"

     "Oh, I heard about it alright. Luke couldn't stop talking about this badass new chick who had put Zach in his place."

     I laughed and wiped my mouth. "As for what I've been up to...well," I swallowed hard. "Not very much."

     I suddenly wasn't hungry anymore. The tornado of emotions I was feeling left my stomach nauseated. A tear slipped out and I was quick to try to wipe it away before Will noticed. A soft, warm hand cupped my cheek and turned my face towards Will's. "Why are you sad, love?"

     "I...I lost a baby a few months ago," I said, as the tears began to leak out.

     His face softened. "I'm so sorry," he said, wrapping his arms around me and holding me close.

     "I'm sorry," I said, the tears flowing free now. "I didn't want our first meeting to be like this," I sobbed into his shirt.

     "Shhh, Amber. it's okay," he said as he stroked my hair. The tingling where our skin touched was comforting. "Come on. I have a nice big tub that you can take a hot bath in," he said, taking my hand. He led me up the wooden staircase to the second floor and down the long hallway. He opened the door at the end and flipped the lights on. A large spacious bedroom stood before us. A splash of cream colored the walls and dark hardwoods lined the floor. The bed in the center was massive and looked inviting. Will sat me down on the bed and walked to a door to the left. Hearing the water run, I could only assume it was the bathroom. He came back into the room and rummaged through some drawers producing a pair of basketball shorts and a large t-shirt.

     "They'll be a bit big, but you'll be more comfortable," he said, handing them to me. I wiped my eyes and gave him a smile.

     "Thank you," I whispered. I took the clothes and headed into the bathroom shutting the door behind me. I leaned back against the door and let out a long breath. Looking in the mirror, I was a red-eyed, blotchy mess. I stripped and stepped into the hot water, sinking down in. I sighed as the tension left my shoulders and I relaxed back against the tub. Closing my eyes, I tried to quell the storm inside.

     When the water turned cold and my fingers turned to prunes, I decided it was time to get out. Drying myself off, I slipped on Will's clothes and let out a small laugh. He sure was right about them being a bit big. I drained the tub and stepped back out into the bedroom to find Will watching some TV.

     He sat up. "Feel better?" he asked.

     I nodded and pulling back the duvet, he patted the bed. I walked over and laid down on the silk sheets. He covered me up. "Get some rest, okay love? I know today has been a long day for you." He placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. He smiled and quietly left, shutting the door behind him. I closed my eyes and let sleep take me away.

Hi everybody! To all of you who read this, thank you.  I know I haven't posted a new chapter in a very long time and I'm so sorry for that.  I fell out of love with this story and took on a few others projects.  I tried coming back to it, but it just wasn't there.  Writing felt more like a chore when I tried to write the chapter.  But finally, after many frustrations and much debate and some much needed motivation, I'm back at it. Thank you all for sticking by me.

-Kay