Chapter One

"Geez. I'm going to be late" murmured Ruban, who hurriedly brushed his messy, uncombed hair up out of his eyes.
And on the first day too, he thought, grimacing. Could today start off any worse?

Rushing out of the door of his shabby apartment he and his mother lived in, he headed for the bus stop. Backpack. Check. Binders. Check. Ruban mentally doubled checked that he had everything he needed for school. Though he was always meticulous when it came to planning, things never really worked out when he planned them.

School. A word - as known by Ruban - to be filled with anxiety, pleasure, and excitement. A wonderfully strewn paradox of loving hate. Each day bringing opportunities, hopes. And each day bringing anxiety, regret. Nonetheless, Ruban optimistically stepped off the bus, and forged his way into Sophomore year. Things will change, he told himself, and smiled at the thought.

Weaving methodically, Ruban side-stepped here and side-stepped there, doing his best to avoid the mass of unfamiliar upperclassmen. Bumping into an irascible, cocky upperclassmen last year had made him more cautious. Besides, Ruban had no interest in making new friends - at the moment, at least.
Finding his group, Ruban was welcomed into the circle of friends. Being absorbed within their cheery atmosphere, the looming mass of foreign upperclassmen seemed less intimidating. More friends gathered and some left to find others, but Ruban was not fully interested in catching up.

Ruban was waiting for her.

His eyes kept popping up over the heads of his friends, continuously scanning the area, searching with determined acuteness. When he spotted her, his breath caught. Ruban did a double-take, confirming that his eyes were not playing some cruel joke. It was her. Her! His heart nearly seemed to falter, then beat faster. The teenage curse of embarrassment kicked in when slight perspiration began despite the chilly August morning. His mind drawing a blank, Ruban could only summon the feared that he would once again be a babbling fool - like last year - and miss yet another chance.

Stepping one foot forward, Ruban began to advance towards her. Then stopped. Turned to stone with shock and bewilderment. Ruban watched like a granite statue as she held an embrace, then hands, with her first welcomer. Ruban's group of friends walked past him, unfazed by this hidden Medusa which seemed to have solely targeted Ruban, and headed to greet her and this stranger who held her hand.
Stranger? Thought Ruban, finally thawing from his petrified solidity. No, that's no stranger. Ruban felt his heart cry, being stabbed from within by his newfound realization. That's Sol.