Valentine's & Amortentia*

~No matter what category you fit into~

(T.M.R. February 14, 1944)

It was a week later when Vienna was released once again from the Hospital Wing. She had been tired and weak for a while following that but eventually regained her strength. I could tell she was getting annoyed with the students around her, seemingly to always be walking on thin ice, careful to not set her off. It was close to a month after the 'incident' and she still had nightmares. It was now Valentine's Day, the romance and cheap novelty of the holiday made me want to be sick and judging by the look on Vienna's face, she was feeling it as well. Professor Slughorn was practically jumping up and down in front of the class and his eyes were glistening with mischief. "Well class, today is one of my favorite holidays!" He claps his hands together and gives us a wink. "In honor of this romantic holiday, today we'll be learning about the potion of love itself." I visibly flinch with his words, causing Abraxas to give me a questioning look. I shake off his stare and set my eyes upon the front of the class, watching Slughorn levitate out a covered cauldron and set it upon his desk. "Now," Slughorn claps again to gain the attention of the class who had broken into excited whispers, "who can tell me about Amortentia?" His gaze falls expectantly onto me, but I actively avoid his eye and try to ignore the confused whispers of my classmates at my lack of reaction.

After a few tense moments, I feel Slughorn's gaze fall off of me and onto other students in the class. I let out a sigh of relief, sneaking a glance at Vienna and surprised to find her eyes already on me. "Can anybody else tell me about this potion?" Vienna's eyes snap to the balding professor, her eyes narrowing and eyebrows furrowing. She raises her hand with determination, causing confusion among the class at her willing participation. "Aha! Miss. Marcus!" Slughorn's eyes were practically glistening with happiness. "Care to tell the class about this specific potion?" My eyes were fully trained on her, along with the rest of the class as we watched her stand.

"Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the world. It's also highly dangerous. It causes powerful infatuation or obsession from the drinker. It does not cause true love." She states each fact as if she's reading from a book, her gaze heavy on the beaming Professor. "The potion smells different for each individual, depending on what attracts them. It's been told that a child conceived under the effects of a love potion cannot love and that those who use that potion..." She points an accusing finger at the potion, sending a glare its way before meeting Slughorn's now bewildered gaze once more. "They use it because those are the people who crave love the most. Despite its consequences. Honestly, Professor Slughorn, I don't think that potion should be on the curriculum anymore. It's a despicable, false and highly dangerous love." She takes her seat again, not removing her gaze from the now sputtering Professor and her resolve strong. I take a look around the class and let out a quiet scoff at the open-mouthed students around me. "Someone sounds bitter." The shrill voice of Druella reaches my ears and I turn my gaze to her. Her blue eyes were regarding Vienna in astonishment and disbelief. "I'm sorry?" Vienna's face was tilted towards the other girl, eyebrows raised in confusion and her mouth set in a thin line. "It sounds as if you've never been in love." Druella waves her hand towards Vienna. "If you dislike it so much then you might as well leave now." Druella let's out a giggle and turns back around in her seat, facing the paling Professor now. The sound of Vienna's stool scraping against the stone of the floor causes a few students to jump in their seats and they watch in amazement and she stalks to Druella's station. She rounds on the girl, leaning over across the potions table and violet eyes angry. Druella is leaning away from her, her face paling and her mouth opening and closing. "Care to say that again?" Vienna's voice is dangerously low and the air around her seems to be crackling with magic.

It's silent with her words, the class froze in their seats and Slughorn temporarily disabled in shock. My thoughts are swirling with this confrontation. My heart beating hard and stomach spinning as I gaze upon a very angry Vienna Marcus. She was...breathtaking in his moment. That thought in of itself was hard for me grasp, never having been affected in this way before. Druella was shaking her head furiously now, avoiding any and all eye contact with the white-haired beauty in front of her. "That's what I thought." Vienna stands straight again, folding her hands in front of her and looking down upon Druella. "I have been in love." Her words make my stomach drop and a sharp intake of breath to pass through my nose. Vienna? In love? Suddenly I'm getting angry. The thought of anyone receiving Vienna's love was making my blood boil and I was clutching my wand tightly in my hand. "I also know heartbreak." Her voice reaches my ears again and the words cool some of my anger. "His name was Fred." Fred? Vienna's boggart suddenly comes to mind, the tall redhead that looked upon her that was the third to fall and her despair at the image. A new realization comes to my mind as my eyes find Vienna's stiff form again. Fred. Her face is sullen and her eyes have lost their focus, a look that I have come to know as her remembering her past. His name was Fred.

The class, along with Vienna, jumps again as I stand from my seat and face Slughorn. "Professor Slughorn. I would like to volunteer first to smell the Amortentia." After a few moments, Slughorn seems to regain his senses and the class begins whispering. "O-of course Tom m'boy." He lifts the lid on the dreadful potion and beckons me forward. I pass by Vienna on the way and give her a shrug at her questioning eyes. I begin to prepare myself for the Amortentia. I wouldn't smell anything, I was conceived under the effects of the potion itself and I have never smelt anything coming from the spiraling mist before. I would make something up on the spot and hopefully, it would be believable. "Tell us what you smell m'boy," Slughorn says to me as I step up to the cauldron. Hesitantly, I lean over the potion and take a deep breath through my nose. At first, there was nothing, I begin to open my mouth to say a random smell when the distinct scent of old leather fills my nose. I snap my mouth shut and my eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Tom?" Slughorn brings me out of my confusion and I look at him for a moment before replying. "I smell old leather..." I take another deep inhale, letting the fumes consume me for a moment. Another scent fills my nose, mixing in surprisingly well with the leather. "And peppermint tea..." A sweet smell reaches my nostrils and I freeze in shock, the calm of the scents being washed away by the last scent. "And?" Slughorn prompts me, giving me an encouraging look and nodding his head quickly. "And that's all. I don't know what the other one is." Slughorn's face falls at my words and he nods solemnly. "Alright m'boy. Please take your seat." I turn around, my eyes cast towards the ground and my thoughts running rampant.

The class is whispering again at my words and I find myself meeting Vienna's gaze. She hasn't sat back down in her seat yet, and she's looking at me worriedly. I hesitate for just a moment before giving her a small smile. As I walk past her, I find myself inhaling deeply and confirming my suspicions. The sweet smell of roses fill my lungs and my heart stutters in realization. Old leather, peppermint tea... and Vienna.

~Truth's got its sight set on you~