The Ring*

(T.M.R. December 31st, 1943)

    My head was extremely groggy, my bones ached and my heart stuttered. I open my eyes slowly, the light blinding and causing me to moan. "He's waking." A voice filtered into my ear from my right, the sound causing me to flinch slightly. Slowly but surely my eyes opened, my surrounding's are fuzzy and disoriented. The ceiling of the Hospital Wing comes into view, along with the looming form of the Matron who has a sickening sweet smile plastered onto her face. I have the strongest urge to just close my eyes again in hopes of ridding myself of the sight, but unfortunately she knows I'm waking. "You had us all worried Mr. Riddle." She says to me, causing my face to crunch up in confusion. "Oh of course you wouldn't remember. You took such a nasty fall." She tuts the words causing my confusion to grow. "Fall?" My voice cracks with disuse and the dry feeling of my throat causing me to start coughing. The Matron quickly hands me a glass of water, lifting my head ever so slightly I drink the liquid greedily. "Yes dear. If it wouldn't have been for Miss. Marcus, you could have died!" Her face grows into one of worry as my mind spins.

     Sudden flashes of flame and the lights of powerful spells flow through my mind in quick procession. Along with the flashes, a dark light seems to turn on in my brain, reigniting my anger and causing me to sit up suddenly. "Where is Vienna?" I ask the Matron, trying extremely hard to hide the anger from my voice. "I'm not quiet sure." She says looking thoughtfully around the room before continuing. "She has spent everyday in here with you since bringing you back to Hogwarts." The statement surprises me greatly, considering Vienna was the one who put me in this position. "Can I leave?" I ask her, trying to keep my eyes from rolling. "Not quiet yet. You've been unconscious for quiet some time Mr. Riddle." My face grows into a look of confusion once again. "How long has it been? What day is it?" I ask her, gazing around the room and trying to find signs of the date. "December 31st. New Years Eve!" She squeals excitedly, I allow my eyes to roll at her excitement and inwardly groan. 

     So I've been asleep for a week. I failed at killing my father and my other relatives. Also, Vienna is more powerful than what I originally thought. The last fact doesn't surprise me, remembering vividly Vienna's seemingly dark transformation that night at Riddle Manor. What was that? I shake my head at the thought and continue to suppress my rage. The doors to the Hospital Wing open suddenly, causing the Matron to squeak and me to roll my eyes. Vienna walks through the door, her long white locks falling elegantly down her chest, her violet eyes furrowed at my being awake. My heart stutters again for a moment at her appearance. I had to admit the girl was beautiful, even I was not blind to beauty, despite not being able to feel. I give her a menacing glare behind the Matron's back, but she refuses to look at me and smiles warmly at the old coot. "Miss. Marcus, I was wondering where you got to." The Matron says to her, bustling over to Vienna and enveloping her in a hug. "I got a little distracted." I close my eyes at the sound of Vienna's voice, half because it brings a sudden calmness to me and the other half due to the tone. "Ah. I understand dear. I'll leave you two to talk." Vienna goes to object the notion before I'm cutting her off. "That would be wonderful." I give Vienna a sinister smile, lifting my eyebrows and daring her to challenge me. Almost depressingly she doesn't, and instead sends another warm smile to the Matron who bustles into her office. 

      Vienna looks around the room, her eyes seemingly lost and her posture awkward. Her eyes eventually land on mine, and despite my best efforts, the breath leaves my body. "I'm glad to see you awake." She makes no move to get closer to me, her voice is small but her gaze unyielding. "Are you?" She rolls her eyes at the question, before huffing and taking a few steps towards my hospital bed. "I'm surprised you're not...angrier." She waves her hand at me, pointing out my calmness. "Oh I am." I state to the girl, my tone clipped and low. Her head tilts to the side, her eyes confused but clear. "Why?" I practically snort at the question, before swinging my feet over the side of the bed and standing. I stretch my arms above my head, my bones creaking with the movement and letting out a sigh of relief. Vienna watches my every move like a hawk, her eyes curious but cautious. I take a few steady steps towards her, coming to a halt as I tower over her. "I think you know the answer to that." I say, voice still low and dangerous. She takes a deep breath before answering me. "I retrieved your wand from Morfin, obliviating his memory. Same with the...others." My eyes glare into hers with the mention of my family. "Everybody thinks I invited you to my home for Christmas break, and there you took a bad fall. I brought you back here." I nod at her words. "Why did you lie?" I ask her, my expression growing curious as I search her eyes for a trace of a lie. "Because as far as I'm concerned, you did no actual damage. I'm just glad I stopped you." Her voice grows quiet towards the end and her eyes glaze over like she's remembering that night. "I should kill you." The words leave my mouth before I can stop them, but she doesn't appear to be shocked with my mention of her murder. "You tried."

     The vision of a green light flashing appears in my mind and I flinch with the thought. "Yes. I did." She lets out a heavy sigh before her body because tense. "I got you something." Her voice is small and I watch as she bites her lower lip with nervousness, the sight sending a warm feeling throughout me. That's new. "You got me something for trying to kill you?" I don't hide the disbelief from my face, knowing full well that I can't get away with lying around the girl and watch as she lets out a nervous smile. "No. I got you something for Christmas and your birthday." My eyes grow wide in shock at her answer, having never received neither a birthday or Christmas gift before. Slowly she lifts her clenched fist before pausing. "You can have it. As long as you promise me to not go back to Little Hangleton again." I weigh my options heavily. I should be absolutely furious right now. I should be threatening the girl, cursing her and causing her great harm. But for some damned reason the anger had seemed to leave my body with her presence. I was supposed to be keeping away from her, but yet here I was, grabbing her small wrist and turning her hand upwards. "I promise." I mean the words for now, but this was a silly little promise. She looks to her fist and slowly opens her hand, revealing her gift. Her eyes slowly rise to meet mine and I break the contact to find a ring in her hand. 

    "It's the Gaunt family ring. It has been passed down through many generations, originating from the Peverell's. It is your family heirloom, and I would think it would fit you nicely. This ring is your right Tom." My eyes gaze upon the Gaunt ring. It is a simple gold band, with an inset of a black stone with an odd engraving upon it. I slowly take the ring from her open palm, still holding onto her wrist and trying to reign in the emotion I'm feeling. Pride fills my body with acquiring this ring, and as I meet Vienna's gaze once again I can tell that she sees it. "Where did you get it?" I ask her, my voice quiet and only the ticking of the clock is heard. She shrugs her shoulders before sending me a smirk. "I stole it from Morfin Gaunt. He doesn't deserve it." I'm overcome with more emotion as I look upon the beautiful girl before me. I couldn't describe the feelings, couldn't describe the joy of receiving this gift, and I couldn't justify being angry with Vienna anymore. "Thank you." I've never thanked anyone in my whole life so genuinely, and am satisfied when Vienna's face breaks into a wide smile, the kind of smile that makes my heart stutter uncomfortably. "You're welcome Tom."