"Thank you. This, this means a lot to me."

"Any time."

Today

I glanced over at the coffee table and saw the brochure again.

Annoyed, I stood up and flung it behind the tv. I felt like it was taunting me. It made me feel weak, like I couldn't handle myself... and if I was being completely honest, that's what I am.

I felt like crying again.

I felt dirty.

I never thought I'd find myself back in such a hole, yet here I am.

Laying back on the couch, I groaned when I heard knocking on the door. I rolled off the couch and went over kitchen and grabbed the biggest knife I could find.

My door didn't have a peephole so, I didn't want to take any chances.

I opened the door slowly and was relieved to see Gracie and August standing at the door. They were both holding bags of food mean mugging each other.

When they saw me at the door, they smiled at me and shoved each other out of the way to get in through the door first. "Hey, bookie." Grace smiled and pressed a sloppy kiss on the side of my face. She handed the Hooters bag to me and set her purse down on the counter, gently taking the knife away from me and sliding it in her bag.

August came in and pulled me into a hesitant hug. Which I greatly returned.

He set the chinese food on the counter and sat a stack of envelopes down.

It was quiet as Grace shared us all food from the bags and we ate in silence. It was just awkward or tense. It was comforting and warm and I just felt a sense of peace wash over me as I ate with two of my closest friends.

Of course, all good things come to end.

Mines did when I noticed the stack of envelopes sitting in front of me. I pulled them over to me and realized that August was kind enough to pick up my mail for me.

As I flipped through them, my mood started to drop once I realized they were hospital bills and car payments. Which I didn't have money to pay.

I just couldn't catch a break.

Gracie looked over and took one of the envelopes and sighed. "Aw shit. Babes, you know I'd love to help but I don't get paid again till next month..."

"Nah, you're fine. I'll... I'll find a way."

"I can help you, ma, I know how times—" August began, but I quickly cut him off.

"August, no, I—"

"It's no problem, ma. I'm serious."

"No, August-"

"There's no shame in asking for help, why're you bugging?" August kept pressing, like he didn't understand how irritated I was beginning to get.

"Because I don't need or want your help!"

August

"Because I don't need or want your help!"

Spiryt stood up from her seat with a huff. "I don't want a damn thing from you!" She shouted. I watched her storm up the steps and into the bathroom, slamming the door hard enough that somewhere in the apartment, a picture frame falls off the wall and crashes to the floor.

Very confused, I turn to Grace who is leaning her head on her hand.

"What the fuck was that? I was just tryna help!" I couldn't comprehend what the fuck she got so mad about.

"Don't get mad." Grace mutters. "The last time she allowed herself to depend on a man... her life spiraled into what it is today; a mess."

"But I'm not tryna have her depend on me–"

"What exactly are you trying to do August? What do you want? Why do you care so much?" Grace sighed, glaring at me.

I got quiet.

"When I was twelve, I saw my moms get raped by her pimp. I didn't know what it meant back then, but I watched how she let her life fall apart afterwards. She was all I had and vice versa. No one should ever go through shit like this alone." I explained.

Grace nodded. "Ima go check on her."

Grace stood up and walked up the stairs and I gathered the envelopes and my eyebrows rose when I saw a letter from the one and only Fiona. From the Human Resources department.

Whether Spiryt wanted my help or not, she was gonna get it. Maybe not directly, but still.

I grabbed my phone and checked the stairs to make sure they weren't coming down.

Quickly, I dialed Fiona's number and let out a sigh of relief when she answered on the last ring. "What do you want, August?" She sounded upset.

"Hey, you still wanna do that fake boyfriend thing?"

"Well, I mean—"

"Yes or no, chile." I rushed. I wanted to make sure that I got off the phone before Spiryt and Grace came back down.

"Yeah, yeah. What changed your mind?" She asked.

"I'll do this favor for you if you do one for me." I said, glancing at the staircase again.

"Yeah, sure, whatever you want." She answered.

"Okay, write this name down. We'll talk in the morning."

"Yeah, What's the name?"

"Spiryt Elric. S-P-I-R-Y-T." I spelled out her name and I heard Fiona scribbling it down. "Got that?"

"Yeah. I did."

"Okay, I'll call you tomorrow."

"Alright bye."

As she said that, I heard Grace walking down the steps. "She's not mad anymore, but she does wanna be alone right now. I'm leaving, I suggest you do to." She said.

I nodded and grabbed my keys. "Ight, I'll see y'all when I see y'all."

I gave a quick glance at the stairs and was surprised to see Spir sitting at the top with her knees in her chest. She gave me a small wave which I returned with a smile.

🍑🍒🍑🍒🍑🍒🍑🍒🍑🍒🍑🍒🍑🍒

YALL

I AM SOOO HYPE

Idk why but I am just ready to get this book started again, I no longer have writer's block, I have more ideas and it's gonna be friggen great!!

I hope this is long enough for you guys...

So go on and

!!VOTE!!

!!COMMENT!!!

But only if you wanna though...😅

I missed this. I missed you guys...😘

I recently got a job so I don't know when I'll update again, but it won't be too long. Love ya❤️